Charlotte Hornets Draft Series: Looking At Sam Dekker

facebooktwitterreddit

Apr 6, 2015; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Wisconsin Badgers forward Sam Dekker (15) looks to shoot during the first half against the Duke Blue Devils in the 2015 NCAA Men

Well last but not least I am taking a look at Wisconsin Badgers player Sam Dekker. Dekker is a unique prospect because in the regular season his stats were not so great but in the NCAA tournament he went off.

More from Charlotte Hornets

I am going to get this out of the way right now, I for the most part, think that Dekker is not a fit with the Charlotte Hornets. He is a streaky shooter which was proven by looking at his shooting percentages in the regular season compared to the NCAA tournament. The Hornets would have to take a huge gamble in drafting him at number 9.

Now if the Hornets decide to move back to the 13-17 pick range he would be a nice pick, value wise, however I would rather see the Hornets move up then move back in this talent rich draft. Dekker has incredible size and plays great defense on the perimeter. He is a lot more athletic than people like to give him credit for and he reminds me a lot of a young Trevor Ariza.

More from Old North Banter

Matter of fact I think he went as far as saying that in a recent interview when talking about white players always being compared to other white players. I do have my concerns with his ability to make open shots consistently. He seems like a mid-first round draft pick to me.

Live Feed

NCAA Basketball: 10 best players from state of Wisconsin of last decade
NCAA Basketball: 10 best players from state of Wisconsin of last decade /

Busting Brackets

  • Raptors: Sam Dekker's goodbye to fans after being waived is touchingRaptors Rapture
  • Raptors: Keeping Goran Dragic may force Toronto to make tough cutsRaptors Rapture
  • Raptors: Nick Nurse explains reason for keeping Sam Dekker on rosterRaptors Rapture
  • Will the Toronto Raptors regret waiving Ishmail Wainright?Raptors Rapture
  • Toronto Raptors: Making a roster case for all 3 non-guaranteed playersRaptors Rapture
  • Dekker will probably go on to become a talented rotation guy and have a long career in the NBA barring injury. He plays with a lot of hustle and he moves on the court at a fast speed. If the Hornets were outside of the lottery I would take him in a heart beat but no need to move back to get a role player when you could draft a starter.

    The Hornets need to be patient and draft a player that makes sense to not only the fans but to the style they want to build. Inside out basketball requires a good post man and some players to create spacing, as far as we know, Dekker is not that right now. I have attached Dekker’s Draft Express NBA Draft Scouting youtube video below. GO HORNETS!

    Next: Charlotte Hornets Draft Series: Mario Hezonja