Charlotte Hornets Draft Series: Looking At R.J. Hunter

facebooktwitterreddit

Mar 21, 2015; Jacksonville, FL, USA; Georgia State Panthers guard R.J. Hunter (22) reacts as he leaves the game against the Xavier Musketeers in the third round of the 2015 NCAA Tournament at Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena. Xavier defeated Georgia State, 75-67. Mandatory Credit: Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

Most of us who watched the 2015 NCAA tournament this past season were shocked when Georgia State won on a last second three pointer against Baylor and even more shocked the coaches’ son was the one to make the shot. Thing is most basketball fans do not know much more about R.J. Hunter than that one moment in his career because it was on a national stage.

More from Charlotte Hornets

I for one have seen enough highlights of his college career to know that this guy is going to be a solid pro for many years to come barring a major injury of course. Hunter knows how to make big shots and he knows how to create his own shot which are two big things when you are entering the NBA at the shooting guard position.

The thing about Hunter is that his stats went down last season in three point shooting (cough *dead horse* cough) and that is something that the Charlotte Hornets need more than anything right now.

I do think that Hunter is better than his .305 three point shooting percentage according to espn.go.com, however, at best he is a streaky shooter that will use his length and speed to attack the basket and also create mid range shot opportunities.

More from Old North Banter

If Hunter puts in a lot of work he could develop a more reliable three point shot but he will never be a sharp shooter from deep. Hunter reminds me a little of Tayshaun Prince minus the length of course. I think he will be a starter one day if he can develop a better shot and will be a solid piece on a playoff team. Hunter does not fit any of the Hornets roster needs right now though.

Live Feed

Hornets struggle from deep in preseason loss to Heat
Hornets struggle from deep in preseason loss to Heat /

Swarm and Sting

  • Hornets officially sign R.J. Hunter and Edmond SumnerSwarm and Sting
  • Charlotte Hornets agree to deal with R.J. HunterSwarm and Sting
  • RJ Hunter and PJ Dozier choose jersey numbers of former Boston Celtic greatsHardwood Houdini
  • Boston Celtics sign RJ Hunter to two-way contractHardwood Houdini
  • Atlanta Hawks: Will Robinson, Hunter & Aldrich Stay?Soaring Down South
  • I believe that any player the Hornets decide to draft should be able to hit the three point shot consistently and I will preach that all the way up to the draft. R.J. Hunter will not create floor spacing at least within the next few NBA seasons so it would be unwise to pick him two weeks from now. Hunter will go in the 11-15 picks in my opinion and will have a very good NBA career.

    I would just prefer to not watch the Hornets jack up more bricks from the three point line again next season like they did this past season. I have attached Hunter’s Draft Express NBA Draft Scouting youtube video below. GO HORNETS!

    Next: Hornets Draft Series: Willie Cauley-Stein