Carolina Panthers: All-Time Twenty Year Team

facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
1 of 28
Next

Dec 6, 2015; New Orleans, LA, USA; Carolina Panthers quarterback

Cam Newton

(1) against the New Orleans Saints during the first half of a game at Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Mandatory Credit: Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

Is it time to pick a Carolina Panthers all time team? Twenty years in, let’s look at the best Panther at every position.

The Carolina Panthers are playing their twentieth year of football. Sure franchise technically dates back to 1994, but the team did not hit the field until the next year. In that time there have been lots of players who have worn the Panthers jersey.

In the earlier off season Panthers Bracket, we looked at who the biggest Panther in team history has been. Without much surprise it was team owner Jerry Richardson who took home the big award. There were also general managers and coaches in some of those slots. It took some of the focus off the players.

So let’s put full focus on the players. Let’s show who the Ultimate Panthers starting lineup would be. Obviously we will need a starter at every position. That’s twenty-two guys. We will also need a kicker and punter to make twenty-four. Then we will also throw in a fourth linebacker, Nickelback, kick returner and a punt returner to be fair to the fact that the Panthers started off as a 3-4 team. So that is twenty-seven guys to account for.

Will the list favor the nostalgia of the nineties or the players of nowadays? Has the Panthers’ current season caused me to favor those guys?

Because we are talking Panthers football, we will be talking defense first. The most important position on the defense is the punter. So Punters first.

Next: Punter