Kemba Walker Reveals Reason He Joined Hornets Coaching Staff

The Charlotte Hornets legend explains his reasoning for joining the coaching staff this summer.
Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit

One of the greatest Charlotte Hornets of all-time, Kemba Walker hung up his boots earlier this summer. The four-time All-Star called it quits after 12 years in the NBA, eight of them with the Charlotte Hornets. A day after announcing his retirement, Walker returned to his basketball home as a player enhancement coach.

In an interview with the official team account, Walker revealed what enticed him to take the job on new head coach Charles Lee's staff. He singled out the opportunity to work with LaMelo Ball as one of the primary reasons.

Kemba Walker Can't Wait to Get to Work with LaMelo Ball

"I think we have the right pieces, starting with LaMelo, who I'm a huge fan of. Super excited to get the opportunity to work with him. One of the reasons why I said yes to the job."

Kemba Walker

Highlighting the importance of staying healthy for Ball, the 34-year-old said that the organization has a chance to go really far if their All-Star point guard is available for the entire season.

Ball missed 106 games in the last two seasons and only played over 60 games once in his four-year career. He managed to make the All-Star game in that season, so it's safe to say that if he were to avoid injuries, he has as good of a chance as anybody in the Eastern Conference to become an All-Star.

In 184 games in Charlotte so far, LaMelo Ball has averaged 20 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 7.4 assists per game. He is one of the most exciting and dynamic playmakers in the league, especially in the open court. He needs to improve his finishing and overall game inside the arc, but a few players possess his electrifying dynamism with the ball.

Ball is yet to turn 23, so there is still plenty of time to figure things out and develop. Like Walker said, however, he needs to stay healthy to show that development.

More Hornets news and rumors:

feed