Hornets Legend Kemba Walker Announces Retirement With Heartfelt Message

Apr 10, 2019; Charlotte, NC, USA; Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker (15) drives in against Orlando Magic D.J. Augustin (14) during the second half at the Spectrum Center. Magic won 122-114. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports
Apr 10, 2019; Charlotte, NC, USA; Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker (15) drives in against Orlando Magic D.J. Augustin (14) during the second half at the Spectrum Center. Magic won 122-114. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports / Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit

Charlotte Hornets legend Kemba Walker officially announced his retirement from basketball on Tuesday, ending an influential and storied career.

The No. 9 overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft goes down as the greatest player in franchise history, making three All-Star teams in Charlotte (four total) with one Third-Team All-NBA nomination. He's the organization's all-time leading scorer (12,009) by a healthy margin with numerous franchise records to his name.

Walker's contributions to the game weren't limited to his time in Charlotte. His immaculate March Madness run leading Connecticut to an NCAA championship in 2011 remains one of the most magical tournament performances in recent memory.

Charlotte Hornets Legend Kemba Walker Retires from Basketball

#15 appropriately holds 15 Hornets all-time records:

  • Points - 12,009
  • Minutes Played - 20,607
  • Field Goals Made - 4,164
  • Field Goals Attempted - 9,962
  • Two-Point Field Goal Attempts - 6,373
  • Three-Point Field Goals Made - 1,283
  • Three-Point Field Goals Attempted - 3,589
  • Field Goals Missed - 5,798
  • Free Throws Made - 2,398
  • Free Throws Attempted - 2,871
  • Turnovers - 1,317
  • Win Shares - 48.5
  • Offensive Win Shares - 31.3
  • Offensive Box Plus/Minus - 3.2
  • Value Over Replacement Player - 24.8

By any measure, Walker had a spectacular career. He played for Charlotte from 2011-2019 before spending time with the Boston Celtics, New York Knicks, and Dallas Mavericks.

He ended his playing career in Monaco though played for the United States in the FIBA league as well. While Walker never led the Hornets to postseason success, losing twice in the first round, one can only imagine what the franchise's history would be without him.

"I'm here to share that I am officially retiring from the game of basketball," Walker said in his announcement, "When I look back, I still can't believe the things I achieved in my career...Basketball will forever be a part of my life so this isn't goodbye. I'm excited for what's next."

Known as 'Cardiac Kemba' following his heroics in the NCAA Tournament, Walker's stepback jumper became a defining play of his era of basketball. His game-winner in the 2011 Big East Tournament Finals is my personal favorite shot in basketball history, so much so that I named my dog after him.

Sometimes, an athlete's individual success and swagger transcend team success. Walker won a title in college and never reached those heights again, though his style of play created fans worldwide.

I'll remember Kemba as one of my favorite athletes to ever live. He averaged 19.8 points, 5.5 assists and 3.8 rebounds with Charlotte, but his impact is far more significant than just box score statistics.

Thank you, Kemba. You're a legend forever and as a fan of the game, I'm blessed to have watched you compete.

More Charlotte Hornets News:

feed