Duke Basketball Loses Yet Another Rotation Piece to Transfer Portal

The losses keep coming for the Duke Blue Devils, who just saw another top recruit leave for the transfer portal.

Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit

The hits just keep coming for the Duke Blue Devils. It's hard to remember another time Duke had this much turnover from one season to the next. Kyle Filipowski and Jared McCain are going the pro route, and Mark Mitchell and Jeremy Roach entered the transfer portal, meaning the four starters out of five from last season are not going to be there for Jon Scheyer next season.

Naturally, one would think that backups from last season would take the place of these starters and take on a larger role. However, it looks like the Blue Devils will not be bringing back too many reserves, either.

After Jaylen Blakes, Jaden Schutt, and Christian Reeves all entered the transfer portal, freshman TJ Power is also reportedly leaving Durham to join a new team, according to Joe Tipton of On3 Sports.

Duke News: TJ Power Entering Transfer Portal

Power was a top-20 recruit last season but was seldom used by Jon Scheyer in his first year. He was behind Filipowski, Mitchell, and Sean Stewart in the rotation, so he was mostly used in garbage time and when other frontcourt options were in foul trouble.

The 6'9 forward finished his freshman year averaging 2.1 points in 6.7 minutes per game in 26 appearances. His time in Durham may not have gone the way he had hoped for but he still thanked the entire Duke community in his statement to On3.

"This past year in Durham has been one of the best years of my life and I’m forever grateful for all the great relationships that I’ve built here in my short time. I want to thank Coach Scheyer, Coach Dildy and the whole staff, along with my teammates and performance staff for believing in me and pushing me every day. I truly have nothing but love for you all."

TJ Power

How the Blue Devils will replace all these departures remains to be seen. They are counting on the best recruiting class in the country to lead them next season, but they are going to need a few experienced players from the transfer portal to round out the rest of the roster.

More Duke news and rumors:

feed