Cooper Flagg Has Huge Goal After Impressive Showing at Team USA Scrimmage

The Duke freshman has his sights set on making the World Cup team in 2027.
2024 USAB Men's Training Camp in Las Vegas
2024 USAB Men's Training Camp in Las Vegas / Ethan Miller/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

Duke star freshman Cooper Flagg has yet to play in a college game for the Blue Devils but has made a ton of noise at Team USA's training camp.

The 17-year-old Flagg had a good performance against Team USA in Monday’s scrimmage that caught the attention of fans on social media and people in attendance. The Duke freshman did not look or play like a college kid, holding his own against some of the best players in the NBA and outshining some of the young players on the select team.

After the scrimmage ended, Flagg talked to reporters about the experience of going up against Team USA and expressed interest in playing on the World Cup team in 2027.

“That’s something I’m striving for, just trying to be the best I can and, if I can achieve that and then join the World Cup team in two years, I mean, that’s another goal on my list,” Flagg said (h/t Joe Vardon and Sam Amick of The Athletic). “I’m just working and trying to get better every day.”

The projected No. 1 overall pick in the 2025 NBA Draft has played in international competition before as he was on the USA U-17 team that won the gold medal at the 2022 FIBA World Cup.

Indiana Pacers assistant coach Jim Boylen is an assistant coach for the 2024 Team USA Select Team and had high praise for Flagg. Boylen believes that he’ll be a great player on the international stage when the time comes.

“He has versatility, he has position size, he’s a smart player and he embraces contact,” Boylen said.

Blue Devils fans and Duke head coach Jon Scheyer have to be excited about what Flagg showed over the last few days as he showed out among the best basketball players in the world.

If the 17-year-old continues on this upward trajectory during his freshman season at Duke, the sky is the limit for him and the basketball program in 2024-25.

More Duke Blue Devils news and analysis:

feed