First Look Emerges of Cooper Flagg on USA Men's Select Basketball Team

Flagg bounced back from a blocked shot to finish strong against Team USA
Mar 9, 2024; Durham, North Carolina, USA; Duke Blue Devils commits Patrick Ngongba (left) and Cooper Flagg look on prior to a game against the North Carolina Tar Heels at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports
Mar 9, 2024; Durham, North Carolina, USA; Duke Blue Devils commits Patrick Ngongba (left) and Cooper Flagg look on prior to a game against the North Carolina Tar Heels at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

It’s pretty rare for a player to compete with some of the best basketball players on the planet before playing in their first college game.

But that’s exactly the kind of seasoning Cooper Flagg is getting this summer, and our first look at him in action showed how helpful it can be, and how impressive he already is.

Cooper Flagg Recovers From Blocked Shot to Finish With a Dunk

In this clip of Flagg we see his jumper get blocked by Lakers star Anthony Davis, and there’s no shame in that.

But he wasn’t fazed by the rejection.

After quickly collecting the ball, Flagg found Warriors player Brandin Podziemski at the top of the key, who fed it back to Flagg with a no-look pass to the baseline.

Flagg finished off the play by rising up for a nonchalant two-handed slam dunk.

It’s just one play, but it says a lot about how valuable this summer can be for Flagg.

First of all, being the only collegiate player for the USA Men’s Basketball Select Team – the squad that practices against the Olympic team – is impressive in its own right.

Team USA Roster

NBA Team

Bam Adebayo

Miami Heat

Devin Booker

Phoenix Suns

Stephen Curry

Golden State Warriors

Anthony Davis

LA Lakers

Kevin Durant

Phoenix Suns

Anthony Edwards

Minnesota Timberwolves

Joel Embiid

Philadelphia 76ers

Tyrese Haliburton

Indiana Pacers

Jrue Holiday

Boston Celtics

LeBron James

LA Lakers

Kawhi Leonard

LA Clippers

Jayson Tatum

Boston Celtics

But this taste of elite level talent is surely going to prepare him for playing at Duke.

This glimpse of the action shows how poised he already is at just 17-years-old.

"I was pretty surprised just because it's not like a normal thing," Flagg told ESPN Sunday, after scrimmaging against the star-studded men's national team for the first time. "So I was definitely really honored and just excited that I had this opportunity.

"If you think about it, you're able to learn from ... if you look at their team, it's nobody better. So it's just being come out here and learn, this is a great experience and I'm really just humbled and I'm really grateful and blessed that I was selected."

It’ll be exciting to see how Flagg continues to grow in his young basketball career.

More Duke Blue Devils News:

feed