Bryce Young Makes First Comments on Shocking Benching

Sep 15, 2024; Charlotte, North Carolina, USA; Carolina Panthers quarterback Bryce Young (9) looks to pass in the third quarter at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-Imagn Images
Sep 15, 2024; Charlotte, North Carolina, USA; Carolina Panthers quarterback Bryce Young (9) looks to pass in the third quarter at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-Imagn Images / Bob Donnan-Imagn Images
facebooktwitterreddit

Panthers QB Bryce Young is in the midst of perhaps the most difficult stretch of his football career, being stunningly benched in favor of Andy Dalton after just two weeks in his sophomore campaign.

Head coach Dave Canales insists he has faith in Young, but there are still plenty of teams who could be trade partners if the organization has truly given up on the first pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

The team's relationship with Young may already be fractured, but it doesn't sound like it if you listen to this mature answer from the second-year QB.

Bryce Young Offers Mature Response to Benching

Speaking to the media for the first time since the unfortunate news, Young sounded like a well-grounded leader who knows he needs to improve to make his coach's decision easier moving forward.

"That's not my decision to make. At the end of the day, we had a ton of drives, we had a ton of games, and I didn't do enough during that," Young said. "I look in the mirror and take accountability for that. So again, I touched the ball, I was on the field. So things that didn't go well during that time, that's 100% on me and no one else. So, again, I gotta look in the mirror, I gotta be better. I'm going to continue to work each and every day. The circumstances are what the circumstances are, that's not out of my control and I'm gonna keep trying to control what I can control."

It's a truly wonderful response and exactly what Canales and the rest of the staff hoped to hear. Young sounds like a young man with his head on his shoulders and a firm understanding of how to lead a team.

His on-field play hasn't been what Carolina hoped it would, but there's no questioning how Young handles himself otherwise.

More Carolina Panthers News:

feed