Panthers Moment’s No.10: “Gano Lo Ganó”

CHARLOTTE, NC - OCTOBER 07: Graham Gano #9 of the Carolina Panthers reacts after making a 63 yard field goal to win the game against the New York Giants at Bank of America Stadium on October 7, 2018 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
CHARLOTTE, NC - OCTOBER 07: Graham Gano #9 of the Carolina Panthers reacts after making a 63 yard field goal to win the game against the New York Giants at Bank of America Stadium on October 7, 2018 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

Kicking Off the Top-10 of Our List With Gano

Welcome back to our countdown of the Panthers Top-25 Moments, our list of the Carolina Panthers’ best moments to celebrate the team’s 25th season in the league.

If you missed our last entry on the list, which is a break down two of our favorite moments from the 2015 season, you can check it out right here.

Today, we cracked the top-10 with the most memorable moments from the team’s 2018 season, so let’s get to it.

No. 10: Gano’s Game-Winning Field Goal Against the New York Giants

The game between the Giants and Panthers started as a one-sided affair the Panthers rocketed out to a 17-3 lead midway through the second quarter. The game took a turn when Odell Beckham Jr. threw a reverse touchdown pass to Saquon Barkley, bringing the Giants deficit down to seven points.

All the excitement came in the fourth quarter as the two teams combined for 28 points. Eli Manning threw a touchdown to Barkley, late in the fourth quarter to give the Giants a 31-30 lead. With just over one minute left on the clock, the Panthers needed to drive down for Graham Gano to win the game.

The final drive was mired with poor play-calling from, which included many throws that were nowhere close to a sideline and a Christian McCaffrey 1-yard run for a first down with no time outs. Following an errant pass to the sideline, Gano came out to kick the longest field goal of his career at 63 yards and drilled it as time expired, giving the Panthers a 33-31 win.

The moment was special, but the Spanish audio of the call made it truly legendary in Panthers lore.

Why It Ranks Here

This kick was absurd, especially given the play-calling issues that made the kick harder than it needed to be. It tied the NFL record for the longest game-winning field goal and looked like it could’ve been good form 70-yards.

The Spanish audio is fantastic as well, as both announcers lose their minds in exhilaration at the moment.

The only reason it doesn’t it barely cracked the top-10 is because of how the season ended for the Panthers. After the team started 6-2, the team went on an eight-game and finished the season at 7-9, with Ron Rivera on the hot seat going into the 2019 season.

Stay tuned for our next entry, where a Panthers legend makes an appearance on the list.