Panthers Best Moment No. 25: Steve Smith Makes Houston Pay

CHARLOTTE, NC - SEPTEMBER 16: Receiver Steve Smith #89 of the Carolina Panthers scores a touchdown past free safety Von Hutchins #34 of the Houston Texans during the Texans 34-21 win at Bank of America Stadium on September 16, 2007 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
CHARLOTTE, NC - SEPTEMBER 16: Receiver Steve Smith #89 of the Carolina Panthers scores a touchdown past free safety Von Hutchins #34 of the Houston Texans during the Texans 34-21 win at Bank of America Stadium on September 16, 2007 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

Kicking Off the Countdown Right With Steve Smith

As we promised, we are starting the countdown of the Carolina Panthers 25-best moments leading up to the team’s 25th season as a member of the National Football League.

We would like to thank everyone who took the time and voted on their favorite moments. Any ties in the voting were broken by us.

With that in mind, let’s get the list started with the 25th best moment in team history: Steve Smith‘s 74-yard touchdown against the Houston Texans in 2007.

Steve Smith and the Panthers Offense Started Hot in 2007

The Panthers offense started off white-hot in 2007, and came into week two of that season fresh off a 27-13 win against the St. Louis Rams to start the season.

Jake Delhomme had his best start of the season with a three-touchdown performance and Smith also had a great game, catching seven passes for 118 yards and one touchdown.

While most of the week two game against the Texans was a wash for most on the team, Delhomme and Smith still had an outstanding game for the team, With Delhomme throwing three more touchdowns, all of which went to Smith.

With the game in hand as the Texans were leading 34-14 with a few minutes left in the game, Delhomme hit Smith across the middle. Smith managed to elude at least five tacklers before finally breaking free and scoring a memorable, albeit meaningless touchdown.

The touchdown was sensational and was emblematic of Smith’s heart and unwillingness to give up when he had the ball.

Unfortunately, the Panthers season went nowhere shortly thereafter, as the Panthers lost Delhomme for the season to Tommy John Surgery and the Panthers were forced to use a rotation of quarterbacks that included a well over the hill Vinny Testaverde.

While the season was a wash, most Panthers fans will remember the moment Smith had as the lone bright spot in what was a disappointing season.

Smith will Appear A Few Times on This List

As most of you could already imagine, Smith will be appearing many times on this list, as he is one of the few receivers in history who did more with less throughout his career.

Unfortunately, my favorite Smith moment of him taunting the Vikings after the infamous Love Boat scandal didn’t make the cut, but many other choices did.

We will be revealing a new moment every day until we reach number one, so keep it glued to Old North Banter.