Davidson Wildcats: Curry Will Not Go to Rio

June 2, 2016; Oakland, CA, USA; Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) speaks to media following the 110-77 victory against Cleveland Cavaliers in game two of the NBA Finals at Oracle Arena. Mandatory Credit: Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports
June 2, 2016; Oakland, CA, USA; Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) speaks to media following the 110-77 victory against Cleveland Cavaliers in game two of the NBA Finals at Oracle Arena. Mandatory Credit: Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

Former Davidson Wildcats star Stephen Curry has pulled out his name from consideration for the 2016 Olympics.

Former Davidson Wildcats player Stephen Curry has made me a sad puppy. The two time NBA MVP has announced that he will not be headed to Rio for the Olympics. And that, as they say, is that.

Many of you should be familiar with Leroy Jethro Gibbs. If you are not, Gibbs is the protagonist to the highly successful CBS show ‘NCIS’ about naval cops. Gibbs lives by a number of rules. There used to be fifty of them, but they have grown by at least one more over the years. That new rule, Rule 51, is ‘Sometimes, you’re wrong.’

When it comes to Curry and the Olympics, I absolutely have to invoke Rule 51. I had it all figured out. A force of capitalism, patriotism, and glory would drive Curry to the Olympics. He just needed to beat the Cavs first. So let him prevaricate all he wants, he’ll still end up going.

More from Davidson Wildcats

That is not what happened. As soon as the story around Curry’s uncertainty about the Olympics appeared, he shut it down by just pulling out of the Olympics all together. His rationale has to do with his injured knee and not putting more stress on it between the end of this season and the beginning of the next one.

Jerry Colangelo, the head at USA Basketball and string puller with the Philadelphia 76ers, admitted that the team would be sorry to lose Curry but that it understood these kinds of situations.

More from Old North Banter

With the door on 2016 closed, Curry’s next chance at the Olympics would be in 2020. I would question whether Curry would go then either. If the knee is a nagging issue for him then it will continue to be so. His capacity for healing will not increase with time, but decrease instead.

If that happens then Curry might never get his gold medal. It will become one of the oddities like how Pete Sampras never won the French Open or how Man O’ War didn’t run in the Kentucky Derby. Let’s hope that Curry stays on a Hall of Fame trajectory so that an oddity is all it is.