Charlotte Hornets: Daniel Hamilton?

Mar 19, 2016; Des Moines, IA, USA; Connecticut Huskies guard Daniel Hamilton (5) reacts in the second half against the Kansas Jayhawks during the second round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament at Wells Fargo Arena. Mandatory Credit: Steven Branscombe-USA TODAY Sports
Mar 19, 2016; Des Moines, IA, USA; Connecticut Huskies guard Daniel Hamilton (5) reacts in the second half against the Kansas Jayhawks during the second round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament at Wells Fargo Arena. Mandatory Credit: Steven Branscombe-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

Our Charlotte Hornets combine interviewee series continues with Connecticut’s Daniel Hamilton. Spoilers: Not as good as the musical of the same last name.

The Charlotte Hornets spent part of their time at the NBA Combine interviewing wing players. These are not players that could fill a stretch four role.

These are all players that would potentially have the same role as free agent Nicolas Batum. We talked about Beasley two days ago and Brogdon yesterday so now we turn to Daniel Hamilton of Connecticut.

Hamilton (6’7”) is two inches taller than Malik Beasley at the same weight. He spent the past two years playing in the American Athletic Conference. Every other player the Hornets interviewed played in the ACC last season. That might say something about him, but you do draft players and not the leagues they came from.

More from Charlotte Hornets

Hamilton’s stats were pretty consistent for the two years that he was at UConn. His minutes and his shooting percentages remained about the same over both seasons. His scoring average went up two points mostly from getting his foul shooting percentage up. He shot 38% from the field for both seasons.

More from Old North Banter

He also shot 33% from the three point line both seasons. That is slightly under replacement level or where it you break even taking a three point shot versus a two point shot from the same player. That is not as good as the kind of shooting that say Malcolm Brogdon does from the same scoring area.

There is not a lot to fall in love with here on Hamilton’s stat list. They say that the biggest collegiate performance increase comes between the freshman and sophomore years. Hamilton had stats that virtually did not change. Now part of that may have been the number of minutes he played as a freshman, but there should have been some movement besides foul shooting.

Next: Charlotte Hornets Trade Chips

Again doing this is in the AAC seems different to me than doing it in the ACC. I really hope Hamilton is just due diligence rather than a serious option for the Hornets. (Now watch them draft him.)