Charlotte Hornets Playoff Predictions

Mar 22, 2016; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker (15) during first half against Brooklyn Nets at Barclays Center. Mandatory Credit: Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports
Mar 22, 2016; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker (15) during first half against Brooklyn Nets at Barclays Center. Mandatory Credit: Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

What does the potential pathway for the Charlotte Hornets in the playoffs look like?

The Charlotte Hornets are currently in the 6 seed in the Eastern Conference and can finish no worse than the 6 seed. After injury problems plagued the Hornets earlier in the season the team is finally somewhat healthy with the exception being MKG out for the season.

The team seems to be destined for the 6 seed but could finish as the 5 seed (5 seed was my prediction DOH!) though that is unlikely. There is a lot of ground to make up in terms of the seeding race so now we turn our attention to who they could possibly play and what the outcome could be.

Charlotte Hornets vs Atlanta Hawks

This is probably the match up that Hornets fans should want the least. The Hawks have the right combination of experience and talent to knock the Hornets out in the first round.

Now is that to say they would dominate the Hornets? No they would not but they would likely end the series in game 6. The Hornets have not been to the playoffs much in the last 13 years and the current roster has only a little experience in the playoffs.

This Hornets team is young and is on the rise but could they really rise up to the challenge in the playoffs? They could but it is unlikely against the Hawks. I give the Hawks a 60 percent chance of pulling out of the series as the winner.

More from Charlotte Hornets

Charlotte Hornets vs Miami Heat

The Heat are a team that is inconsistent this year at times and a team that the Hornets match up well against. The Heat are lead by experienced players no doubt but they are getting older and the Hornets’ talent is there along with their young legs.

I think a match up against the Heat could lead the Hornets on a path to seeing the second round of the NBA Playoffs this year. It is not the ideal situation.

The key here is the Hornets’ youth versus the Heats’ experience and in this situation I think the youth wins out. Either way it gives the Hornets a 50 percent chance of being in the second round.

Live Feed

Former Boston Celtics max signing a current vet's minimum fit
Former Boston Celtics max signing a current vet's minimum fit /

Hardwood Houdini

  • 15 players the Dallas Mavericks signed past their primeThe Smoking Cuban
  • 5 reasons you should watch EuroLeague FanSided
  • Departed Boston Celtics restricted free agent lauds ex-max contract Cs signingHardwood Houdini
  • 10 OKC Thunder players that never logged a single minute for the franchiseThunderous Intentions
  • Zalgiris Kaunas and Partizan Belgrade: What teams will participate in the 2023-24 EuroLeague season?FanSided
  • Charlotte Hornets vs Boston Celtics

    A match up against the Celtics (who are a very good team do not get it twisted)  would be the ideal situation for the Hornets. The Celtics lack any true experience on the roster in the playoffs and they are, in all due respect, only as talented as the Hornets are.

    They boast no true superstar and they win based solely on good team play. It sounds good but they are still a very good team who could sweep the Hornets if the Hornets did not show up to play.

    The key in this match up is if the Hornets could sneak a win in Boston which is hard to do. I give that match up a 55 percent chance that the Hornets pull out of the series as the victor.

    More from Old North Banter

    So What Does It All Mean

    If you include all three possibilities we are looking at a 48 percent chance of the Hornets advancing to the second round which is actually a good percentage based on the team being a 6 seed. Could the Hornets make it further than just the second round?

    Sure they could, but realistically they are a second round team who has potential to be more. Without any real dominant player (Kemba Walker is getting there) they will struggle against teams who do have a dominate player or more experience.

    Next: Batum Returns For Seed Race

    Either way it is time to get ready to cheer on our Hornets in the playoffs. Go Hornets!