Charlotte Hornets Draft Series: Looking At Trey Lyles

facebooktwitterreddit

Apr 4, 2015; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Kentucky Wildcats forward Trey Lyles (41) dunks the ball during the first half against the Wisconsin Badgers of the 2015 NCAA Men

Trey Lyles is a monster in the transition game because of his ability to run at a very fast speed for his size. He displays a very high basketball IQ and seems to enjoy playing a defined role. The only problem with the Charlotte Hornets picking him is that we already have a gazillion power forwards on the roster (I am exaggerating duh). I could see the Hornets picking him if we trade Cody Zeller but only then. Still I would like to delve a little more into Lyles and his overall game.

More from Charlotte Hornets

Lyles has a lot of upside and he displayed that much at the University of Kentucky. He reminds me and a lot of other people of Carlos Boozer because of his great face up game. He is not a great athlete and he does not shoot the ball well from the three point line (to be honest he is a very bad three point shooter). The Hornets are lacking one crucial thing and that is the ability to knock down the three ball which makes picking Lyles look like a long shot. As I mentioned Lyles seemed to show off some good basketball IQ and that is most evident in the fast break situations he got into.

Live Feed

Boston Celtics trade targets: Defense, shooting, and a little bit of both
Boston Celtics trade targets: Defense, shooting, and a little bit of both /

Hardwood Houdini

  • Sacramento Kings re-sign Trey Lyles - Instant reaction and analysisA Royal Pain
  • 2 Disastrous Mistakes the Kings must avoid making this SummerA Royal Pain
  • 15 reasons to watch the Kentucky basketball players in the NBA PlayoffsWildcat Blue Nation
  • 3 Low-cost free agents the Knicks could target this summerDaily Knicks
  • 5 players the Sacramento Kings need to step up in 2022-23A Royal Pain
  • Being honest I am not very impressed with Lyles at the NBA level because unlike Boozer, who was a consistent jump shooter, Lyles is not a consistent jump shooter. I think Lyles will slip in the draft to the 20s and somebody there will let him develop on the bench. I do think, with more polish to his game, that Lyles could be a solid role player but that is a best case scenario. I could be wrong but I just have that feeling about him. I have attached Lyles’ Draft Express NBA Draft Scouting youtube video below. GO HORNETS!

    Next: Hornets Draft Series: Looking at Stanley Johnson