Stephen Curry STILL should be MVP over LeBron

facebooktwitterreddit

Add JR Smith to the number of people who view someone other than Stephen Curry as the MVP. In fairness to JR, he does play with LeBron James. If he didn’t say James was the MVP then we would all have a bigger story to talk about. So what exactly did Smith say about it?

More from Davidson Wildcats

Dave McMenamin of ESPN reported an interview that Smith gave after the Cavs beat the Pistons.

“In actuality, if you really wanted to, you could give it to him every year…I mean, the numbers, what he does for teams. You see one year removed from a team like Miami — and they probably won’t even make the playoffs — to a team that hasn’t made the playoffs since he left and then, all of the sudden, we’re a 52-win team. So I don’t think you can do that with anybody else that’s in our league right now.”

Live Feed

"It's fine" - Bob Myers still has faith in the Golden State Warriors despite poor start
"It's fine" - Bob Myers still has faith in the Golden State Warriors despite poor start /

Blue Man Hoop

  • NBA Awards Rankings: New No. 1 in MVP raceFanSided
  • Ranking every Golden State Warriors' player by trade likelihood Blue Man Hoop
  • "He never improved" - Former Golden State Warriors' player takes unnecessary shot at Klay ThompsonBlue Man Hoop
  • The Golden State Warriors continue to add to unwanted and appalling recordBlue Man Hoop
  • Golden State Warriors give away another after veteran's poor late decisionBlue Man Hoop
  • Smith is right that LeBron is an MVP candidate every year. This particular year though, LeBron does not have the numbers to beat out Stephen Curry. Also Smith ignores that more happened to the Heat and the Cavs than simply LeBron switching addresses. The Cavs brought in Kevin Love, Smith, and Iman Shumpert too. The Heat have been missing Chris Bosh badly since his injury or they would be a playoff team at this point.

    More from Old North Banter

    When we utilized the impact/min formula earlier to compare James and Curry, Curry ended up with the superior number. It was close at 1.395 to 1.313, but Curry edged out ahead. For the sake of completeness, let’s redo the calculation to represent where the numbers are today.

    Impact = Points + 2(Assists + DReb + Blocks + Steals) – 2 (Turnovers)

    James = 1743 + 2 (510 + 366 + 49 + 109) – 2 (272)
    James = 3267 (Total Impact)
    Curry = 1890 + 2 (612 + 284 + 16 + 158) – 2(247)
    Curry = 3536 (Total Impact)

    Live Feed

    NBA Rumors: Bulls trade plans defy all logic in franchise’s current state
    NBA Rumors: Bulls trade plans defy all logic in franchise’s current state /

    FanSided

  • Why it's not the time to give up on Rockets' Jalen GreenSpace City Scoop
  • 3 Former Celtics Failing Miserably With Their New Teams in 2023Chowder and Champions
  • NBA Trade Rumors: Miami Heat expected to 'kick tires' on pursuing Pascal Siakam?Sir Charles In Charge
  • NBA Rumors: Lakers are actively shopping D'Angelo Russell after allLake Show Life
  • Best NBA prop bets today for Lakers vs. Mavericks (Anthony Davis is dominating)Lake Show Life
  • Now remember total impact just reflects seasonal totals. To get a true measure we need to divide by the minutes played to see how much a player has on the court when he steps on it.

    James = 3267/2460 = 1.328
    Curry = 3536/2554 = 1.384

    You can see it is narrow margin, but any margin is good enough to say that Curry should be the MVP over LeBron. Sorry JR.