Danny Ferry Takes Leave of Absence

facebooktwitterreddit

The Associated Press reports that Atlanta Hawks General Manager and former Duke Blue Devil Danny Ferry has taken an in definite leave of absence yesterday. According to the Hawks, Ferry himself asked for the leave.

More from Duke Blue Devils

Ferry also stated that he will go into sensitivity training and meet with local leaders in Atlanta. No doubt that Ferry, along with showing remorse, is trying to save his job as the Hawks GM. His biggest ally was minority owner Bruce Levenson, who is selling his share in the team over other racially insensitive remarks.

Ferry read a report about Luol Deng which used racist terminology regarding Deng’s African background. It suggested all Africans were two-faced. They were not Ferry’s words, but he did not modify his reading of the report and there is audio of him saying these things.

Ferry had this to say about his leave of absence: “”No words can adequately describe my remorse for the hurt that I have caused many people through the statements I repeated, most importantly Luol Deng…While these were not my words, I deeply regret repeating them. Almost all the background information I provided during the lengthy presentation regarding Luol was positive and my personal and professional recommendation during the call was very much in favor of adding Luol to our team, but I never should have uttered those offensive remarks and for that I apologize.”

Live Feed

Remembering the last truly beloved Chicago Bulls roster of 2012-13
Remembering the last truly beloved Chicago Bulls roster of 2012-13 /

Pippen Ain't Easy

  • The 20 worst free agent signings in NBA historyHoops Habit
  • Here's how Knicks' Cam Reddish can become Tom Thibodeau's 'guy'Daily Knicks
  • Lakers are finally free from one of the worst contracts in franchise historyLake Show Life
  • Chicago Bulls: 5 most underrated players in franchise historyPippen Ain't Easy
  • Chicago Bulls: Luol Deng was the ultimate net positive for this teamPippen Ain't Easy
  • According to the AP, the NBA Players Union has been satisfied with the way things have developed so far.

    The Hawks still have some internal problems to deal with. At least one owner, Michael Gearon, pushed for Ferry to be fired over these comments. That result might still happen. In the meantime the Hawks are adding a ‘Chief Diversity Officer’ according to the AP.

    Ferry has been responsible for the current Hawks rebuild, such as the signing of forward Paul Millsap.