Report: Kyrie Irving a Lock for USA Basketball?

facebooktwitterreddit

Marc Stein of ESPN reported on what was to be the likely process of how USA Basketball would get down from 16 members to the 12 allowed on the roster at the FIBA World Championship. Jerry Colangelo said the final cuts could come as soon as Thursday, but as late as the last exhibition game against Puerto Rico on Friday. Team USA plays the Dominican Republic on Wednesday night in New York.

More from Duke Blue Devils

What was interesting was the players that Colangelo and Coach Mike Krzyzewski referred to as the core of their team. They were Derek Rose, James Harden, Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried, Stephen Curry, and Kyrie Irving. That five are apparently locks for the trip to Spain.

The big name on that list is point guard Kyrie Irving. Back when Team USA cut John Wall, I argued that Wall was the superior player but that Coach K was doing what he thought was comfortable for him in keeping Irving. At that point I had not considered Irving credentials against the other point guard who will likely be cut on the way to 12, Damian Lillard.

Live Feed

Former NJCAA National Coach of the Year Greg Heiar leads MAC Cardinals to a perfect start
Former NJCAA National Coach of the Year Greg Heiar leads MAC Cardinals to a perfect start /

Busting Brackets

  • USA Basketball: Early starting lineup and bench projections for 2024Sir Charles In Charge
  • Syracuse Basketball: 4-star, 5-star targets star at USA Basketball minicampInside the Loud House
  • Syracuse Basketball: 5-star recruits to battle at USA Basketball minicampInside the Loud House
  • NBA rumors: Buddy Hield trade, Celtic on the block, Embiid's big decisionFanSided
  • Why Jayson Tatum playing for Team USA in 2024 helps the Boston CelticsHardwood Houdini
  • Lillard is a warrior at the point guard position, and he is more in the mold of Irving than Wall was. Matt Moore of Cbs Sports pointed out that Lillard was a better shooter than Irving and a better defender. I realize that Coach K is looking for familiarity, but at the expense of how much talent? To be fair, Lillard has not been cut yet, but that seems the logical next step.

    Anyway, it seems Kyrie Irving’s place on the team is secure. Regardless of our roster, I wish the team all the luck in the world when they begin to play in Spain at the end of the month.

    Please like our Facebook page, here.