Duke Blue Devils: More Allen Tripping Trouble against BC

Jan 4, 2017; Durham, NC, USA; Duke Blue Devils guard Grayson Allen (3) watches his teammates from the bench after leaving the game with 15 points in the second half of their game against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark Dolejs-USA TODAY Sports
Jan 4, 2017; Durham, NC, USA; Duke Blue Devils guard Grayson Allen (3) watches his teammates from the bench after leaving the game with 15 points in the second half of their game against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark Dolejs-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Duke Blue Devils will have to live under increased scrutiny with star Grayson Allen all season long.

The Duke Blue Devils brought back Grayson Allen one game ago. With Allen essentially on a four strikes and you’re out policy, it was fair to wonder if the press would focus on every little move that he made. This became especially true when Allen came back from his one game indefinite suspension. So one game after Coach K went on the injured list, we already have a controversy. Sort of.

Duke best Boston College last night in a game that saw Amile Jefferson reinjure his foot. They went on to beat the Eagles 93-82 anyway. Their best player on the court was Allen with a twelve point-eleven assist night. That was not Allen’s biggest highlight however.

No, that play belonged to Allen on defense. Moving around a screen, Allen moved his left leg back into the Boston College player during his move to catch up to the ball handler. No foul was called on the play and the ACC later said that no intent could be determined.

More from Duke Blue Devils

I am not here to argue intent one way or the other. I will point that this is where we are now. Allen is on this heightened level of scrutiny with no benefit of the doubt. Every time his leg collides with someone else the question will be asked. Was he trying to trip him? This is but the first of many complex analyses that will follow to determine whether or not he meant to trip somebody with inconclusive video tape.

Next: Allen Returns

Meanwhile Duke will probably derive more real trouble from the loss of Jefferson. He was one of the veteran leaders on this team, and he knew what was expected of him and his role. Duke has the bodies to play without him, but they do not a fifth-year senior’s worth of experience anywhere else on the team.