Charlotte Hornets: Michael Jordan Wades Into Charlotte Unrest

Feb 14, 2016; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Chairman of the board, MLSE Larry Tanenbaum (L) and Chairman, Charlotte Hornets Michael Jordan (R) look on during a stoppage in play in the second half during the NBA All Star Game between the Western Conference and the Eastern Conference at Air Canada Centre. Mandatory Credit: Peter Llewellyn-USA TODAY Sports
Feb 14, 2016; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Chairman of the board, MLSE Larry Tanenbaum (L) and Chairman, Charlotte Hornets Michael Jordan (R) look on during a stoppage in play in the second half during the NBA All Star Game between the Western Conference and the Eastern Conference at Air Canada Centre. Mandatory Credit: Peter Llewellyn-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Charlotte Hornets and their owner Michael Jordan issued a statement on the unrest in the city.

The Charlotte Hornets were back in the news again. This was not for some great off season workout regimen. This was not news that Michael Kidd-Gilchrist had developed a three point shot. It was not news that Nicolas Batum’s poor Olympic performance would affect his upcoming basketball season.

No, it was news that the Charlotte Hornets fan shop had been one of the places hit by vandals during the riot that resulted in Charlotte over the past couple days. It was a reminder that the dialogue between police and African-Americans still hadn’t evolved enough.

I bring up the dialogue between police and African-Americans because that is something that the Hornets got involved in. Earlier a good bit was made of Michael Jordan giving a million dollars to both an order of police and the NAACP in order to aid the dialogue. With rioting now in the city where the Hornets play, Jordan would have to speak again.

More from Charlotte Hornets

Jordan said in a statement through the Charlotte Hornets:

“First, I want to express my condolences to the Scott family for their loss. I also wish for a full recovery to those who have been injured…In light of the tragic events of the past three days, it is more important than ever that we restore calm and come together, as a community, in peaceful demonstration and conversation, and in constructive and non-violent ways. As part of the fabric of Charlotte, the Hornets organization is committed to working with civic leaders, our elected leaders and law enforcement to foster more trust, transparency and understanding so we can heal and grow together as a community.”

So hopefully this will help heal wounds in the city after the death of Keith Scott. It will not of course solve any problems. It may allow the air to still so that we can hear each other. The Hornets are fortunate enough not start playing until October 1.