Duke Blue Devils: Talk of the Draft

Feb 28, 2016; Orlando, FL, USA; Philadelphia 76ers center Jahlil Okafor (8) drives to the basket as Orlando Magic center Nikola Vucevic (9) defends during the first quarter at Amway Center. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
Feb 28, 2016; Orlando, FL, USA; Philadelphia 76ers center Jahlil Okafor (8) drives to the basket as Orlando Magic center Nikola Vucevic (9) defends during the first quarter at Amway Center. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Duke Blue Devils may have produced the first pick in this year’s NBA Draft. However there are noises that last year’s top Duke pro prospect may also be on the move.

The Duke Blue Devils have been getting a lot of draft pub lately and not just for what will happen to their players in the draft pool. Everybody agrees that Brandon Ingram is a consensus top 2 pick. What is not agreed upon is what Duke teammates he might have next year at his disposal.

First off let me agree with the consensus. Ingram and Ben Simmons are the top two picks in this draft. Between the two of them I would take Ingram as things stand right now. I would especially take Ingram if I was the Philadelphia 76ers with their wealth of post players. At some point Simmons will take post player minutes, Ingram is more flexible.

The 76ers are supposed to be doing things differently with the departure of Sam Hinkie in favor of Bryan Colangelo. Hinkie believed in stashing away assets to build value for the future, and Colangelo is supposed to be the guy to shift to a more win now attitude. Now that Hinkie has left the cupboard full of picks in this draft, Colangelo is supposed to swoop in and take credit. These are indicators that should point to Ingram over Simmons at number 1.

More from Duke Blue Devils

The other Duke player who has been part of draft discussions this year is second year man Jahlil Okafor. Okafor is openly coveted by the Boston Celtics, who just so happen to have the number three pick in this draft. A deal would allow the 76ers to make back the pick they used on Okafor last year and draft for another position of need.

On its face, the Okafor deal looks like it makes sense. The problem is that no one knows exactly how much the 76ers value Okafor as a trade piece. He is considered the most likely of the Okafor, Nerlens Noel, and Joel Embiid combination to get shipped since the other two have injury histories or are less offensive threats.

The result is that the case for Ingram and Okafor to play together in Philadelphia is not as clear cut as I would like. If there is a trade with Boston, they won’t play together. If the 76ers decide to develop Simmons over building around their current roster then the two won’t meet either.

Next: Is Duke Becoming Kentucky?

The NBA Draft is about a month away.