Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: Looking at Quick Fixes

facebooktwitterreddit

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist dislocated his shoulder against the Orlando Magic in the first pre-season game for the Charlotte Hornets. That ended any possibility that the Hornets would have a drama free opening to their season where the key parts get used to playing together.

The Hornets had a similar problem last year when Lance Stephenson was hurt at the beginning of the year. He never quite jelled after that point. After a busy off-season, the Hornets are once more trying to incorporate a number of new pieces. This is key chemistry building time, and now Kidd-Gilchrist is gone for it.

The prognosis on Kidd-Gilchrist will be better known today when doctors announce the true extent of the injury, but he is looking at being out anywhere from three to twelve weeks. Obviously three is much better than twelve, since twelve puts him out until around Christmas. Kidd-Gilchrist just signed an extension with the team not long ago and is seen to a key piece of the nucleus.

More from Charlotte Hornets

Over the next couple of days, we will look at simple fixes and drastic fixes to this problem. When I say drastic, I mean out of the box drastic. Let’s start simple:

1. Move Nicolas Batum to the small forward
This seems logical enough. Batum has often played the three position in Portland and he’s 6’8”. That opens up the starting shooting guard position to Jeremy Lamb or PJ Hairston. I am not sure either deserves the minutes load right now, but it is the most logical thing to do. Also do not get stuck on the Jeremy Lin or Kemba Walker at the two theory, there is just too much defensive liability there.

More from Old North Banter

2. Move Marvin Williams to the small forward
I’m still not sure what Marvin’s role on this team is. The Kidd-Gilchrist injury could slide Marvin into minutes at the three, even if he is not the starter. So he could back up Batum. However if Batum is supposed to grow into the off guard role, having Marvin start at small forward would offer him the opportunity to do that. Kidd-Gilchrist will come back, and the Hornets do not want a dislocated team as a result.

3. Sign Gerald Wallace (as an adjunct to either one or two)
As I have said before, Wallace is not a starter anymore. However I think he could offer some good minutes off the bench as well simulating some of the things that Kidd-Gilchrist does for you.
So there are the quick fixes. Tomorrow we will look at a more drastic solution to this injury problem.

Next: Should Gerald Wallace return to Charlotte?