Report: Cardinals offer deal to Chris Johnson

facebooktwitterreddit

Former East Carolina Pirate Chris Johnson may have a home for the 2015. Although Johnson has been lobbying the Dallas Cowboys for interest all summer, it is the Arizona Cardinals who have struck first and made the first offer. The Cardinals have offed a one year deal according to reports from Dianna Marie Russini of ESPN.

The Cardinals are evidently unhappy with the performance of the running back position so far in camp so Coach Bruce Arrians said on the Cardinals team website. Arrians is a fan of an effective run game from his time at Pittsburgh. Arrians knows that he has to support often wounded quarterback Carson Palmer with other weapons in order to succeed in a tough NFC West division.

More from East Carolina Pirates

However we must note that Johnson has not agreed to anything yet. The former two thousand yard rusher may wait to see if another opportunity presents itself. His longed hoped for contact from Dallas might be just around the corner as Darren McFadden has already gone down with injury. Will Johnson wait it out for Dallas or go try to win a job with Cardinals?

If he knows anything about offensive lines, he will wait for the Cowboys. However I cannot see how he declines the Arizona deal. The Cardinals were a playoff team last year, and if Palmer had been there the whole year they might not have run out of steam against the Panthers in the first round of the playoffs.

More from Old North Banter

Obviously the big question for Johnson is whether he has anything in the tank to offer his next team. He is a year away from the running back wall at thirty, and his production has been declining. The Jets could not seem to find enough to with him. Was that on Johnson or the Jets? Let’s hope we get to find out the answer to that question this year.

Next: Philip Nelson Walks On at ECU