Panthers 3-Round Mock Draft: Carolina Prioritizing Weapons for Bryce Young

The Carolina Panthers don't have a first-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, but they have three picks between Rounds 2 and 3 to make some noise.

Oct 28, 2023; Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA; Florida State Seminoles wide receiver Keon Coleman
Oct 28, 2023; Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA; Florida State Seminoles wide receiver Keon Coleman / Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
1 of 3
Next

The Carolina Panthers sadly do not have a first-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft as they used it to move up in the 2023 draft for Alabama quarterback Bryce Young.

However, the Panthers still have three picks within the top 100 of the NFL draft, including two in the second round (Nos. 33 and 39). Carolina can find some playmakers on both sides of the ball at the top of the second round, who might’ve been considered first-round players.

Last year, the Panthers took wide receiver Jonathan Mingo with the 39th overall pick, who had an okay rookie season. Along with Mingo, we saw Sam LaPorta, Rashee Rice, Jayden Reed, Will Levis, and Zach Charbonnet get drafted in the second round and those guys played huge roles on their respective teams.

The Panthers hope to find some impact players with their first three selections as they try to bounce back from a horrible 2023 season. To give you an idea of what Carolina could do next week, we’ll throw a quick three-round mock together using Pro Football Network’s mock draft simulator.

Since we are using a simulator, we are at the mercy of what the computer does with the other selections. There will also be no trades as it’s likely that Carolina will go with the best player available at the top of the board on Day 2.

1. Keon Coleman, WR, Florida (Round 2, Pick 33)

With Ladd McConkey (Georgia) and Xavier Legette (South Carolina) still on the board, we took the former Florida State wide receiver at the top of the second round. A lot of people are down on Coleman after he ran a 4.61 40-yard dash at the combine.

However, we shouldn’t make a 100% declaration on a prospect based on how he ran at the NFL scouting combine, it’s malpractice.

If you had the chance to watch Coleman this past season at Florida State, you know that the kid is a baller and catches everything thrown to him. The 6-foot-3 receiver posted 50 receptions for 658 yards and 11 touchdowns with the Seminoles. Again, Coleman will not blow you away with his speed, but his athleticism, quickness, and strong hands are all good qualities that you want for a starting-caliber wide receiver.

However, there are some questions about Coleman’s ability to separate and route running. But those skills can be improved, especially if he gets an opportunity to work with Diontae Johnson and Adam Thielen.