New Panthers Playmaker Already Taking About 'Big' Extension

Feb 1, 2024; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers general manager Dan Morgan (left) speaks with new coach Dave Canales during the introductory press conference at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
Feb 1, 2024; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers general manager Dan Morgan (left) speaks with new coach Dave Canales during the introductory press conference at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports / Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit

New Panthers WR Diontae Johnson has big expectations for his first year in Carolina. While it's his first year with the franchise, it's also a contract year for the former Pittsburgh Steeler and Johnson hopes to land a large extension with his new team.

He feels disrespected based on an underwhelming 2023 season surrounded by bad quarterback play, though he's a perfect fit for what the Panthers' offense was missing.

Just two years removed from a 1,162-yard season, Johnson feels ready to prove he's worth a huge payday.

Panthers WR Diontae Johnson Seeks Contract Extension

He appeared in only 13 games due to injury in the 2023-24 campaign, catching 51 passes for 717 yards and five TDs. Johnson was a Second-Team All-Pro returner in his rookie campaign and made the Pro Bowl as a receiver in 2021, so he's got the pedigree and ability to break 1,000 yards again.

During Panthers' minicamp, Johnson told reporters, "Everybody getting all these big contracts—it just motivates me to keep working. God gonna give it to me when he ready, so I just gotta keep stacking days."

Making his intentions clear, Johnson continued, "if they feel like they want to extend me, then I’m all for it.”

With Johnson, Adam Thielen, and standout rookie Xavier Legette in the fold, the Panthers have a significantly improved position group as they try to improve on last year's 2-15 finish. Johnson will be a major part of the rebuilding effort and should be given every opportunity to earn that extension.

He sounds ready for it and that should be music to Bryce Young and Carolina's ears.

More Carolina Panthers News:

feed