Kara Lawson Lands Huge Coaching Opportunity

Kara Lawson will be one of the assistant coaches on Cheryl Reeves' staff for the Summer Games.
Oct 12, 2022; Charlotte, North Carolina, US; Duke coach Kara Lawson during the ACC Women s
Oct 12, 2022; Charlotte, North Carolina, US; Duke coach Kara Lawson during the ACC Women s / Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit

Duke head coach Kara Lawson will have a busy summer as she’ll be heading to the 2024 Olympics in Paris, France, as an assistant coach for Team USA.

Lawson, who is familiar with international competition and the Summer Olympics, will join Joni Taylor (Texas A&M) and Mike Thibault (Washington Mystics) as assistant coaches on head coach Cheryl Reeves’ staff.

Lawson is excited for the opportunity as she tries to help lead Team USA to another gold medal. "I'm really excited for the opportunity to be on staff with the same group I was on staff with at the World Cup a couple years ago," she said via the Duke Chronicle. "Obviously the chance to coach in an Olympics is definitely bucket list."

The fourth-year Duke head coach was recently a part of the FIBA World Cup team that won the gold medal in 2022. Lawson also was the head coach of the 3x3 National Team that has taken the gold for several years. And we can’t forget that the former WNBA star has a gold medal as a player.

Lawson was a part of the 2008 squad that won the gold medal in Beijing. Team USA will be a favorite to win the gold for the eighth consecutive Summer Games as the squad is loaded with multiple WNBA superstars and All-Stars.

More Duke news and analysis:

feed