Duke vs. Wake Forest Final Score Prediction for Feb. 24

Expect the Blue Devils' interior advantage to provide an edge
Kyle Filipowski had 21 points and 11 rebounds in the first matchup against Wake Forest
Kyle Filipowski had 21 points and 11 rebounds in the first matchup against Wake Forest / Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit

Duke heads to Wake Forest to take on the Demon Deacons Saturday, February 24th at 2:00 PM EST on the heels of a five-game winning streak.

The Blue Devils took their ACC foes down 77-69 nearly two weeks ago, though Wake Forest is undefeated at home this season and just walloped Pittsburgh 91-58 in that building. With North Carolina taking on a tough Virginia team, this is an opportunity for Duke to grab control of the ACC as we approach the end of the regular season.

Wake Forest has 83+ points in nine of their last 10 home games, so the Blue Devils will need to lock in defensively to escape with a win. Let's take a look at the matchup and my score prediction for the contest below.

Duke vs. Wake Forest Prediction and Preview

Duke has wins in six of the last seven games between these teams, though two of the most recent four were decided by just two points. The Blue Devils were 6.5-point favorites at home earlier this month, so I anticipate a tight spread on Wake's home floor.

The Demon Deacons will likely try to force the ball inside initially to take advantage of Duke's interior defense that ranks 124th nationally in opponent two-point shooting percentage (49.2%). Wake Forest is 60th nationally in two-point shooting (53.6%), so they can try to draw defenders in before kicking out to shooters.

They're 23rd in three-point shooting (37.3%), so this might be the biggest test for Duke's improving defense yet. That being said, the Blue Devils are built to win a shootout. They're even better from beyond the arc at 38% (15th) and can penetrate the paint to draw fouls.

Duke shot 25 free throws in the first game compared to just 13 for Wake Forest. I expect the Demon Deacons to shoot better than the 6-for-26 they managed on three-pointers, but this Duke team is rolling and should be rested after a blowout win over Miami.

Give me the Blue Devils in a tight game, with free throws being the difference.

Duke vs. Wake Forest Final Score Prediction: 83-79 Duke