Dave Canales Has Surprising Plans for Second-Round Bust WR

The new Panthers head coach had nothing but positives about former second-round pick Terrace Marshall Jr.
Carolina Panthers OTA Offseason Workout
Carolina Panthers OTA Offseason Workout / Jared C. Tilton/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

After a disappointing showing from the Carolina Panthers offense last season, the team made numerous changes such as bringing in Dave Canales to be the head coach, upgrading the WR room – trading for Diontae Johnson, and drafting Xavier Legette.

With the Panthers bringing in Johnson and Legette, there might not be room for Jonathan Mingo and Terrace Marshall Jr., as Adam Thielen will also be in the starting lineup. The Panthers aren’t worried about Mingo, who is only entering his second year.

However, this is a make-or-break year for Marshall Jr., who reportedly requested a trade last season. But the Panthers didn’t move the former second-round pick.

That said, new head coach Dave Canales has nothing but positive things to say about Marshall Jr. this week at OTAs.

Dave Canales Has High Hopes for Terrace Marshall Jr.

“He’s been reliable,” Canales said (h/t Anthony Rizzuti of The Panthers Wire). “He’s doing what we’re asking him to do. He’s running the right routes. You can see that this is a big man with speed in there. And I think that the more comfortable he’s getting with our system, our concepts—the faster he looks.”

If you have stock in Marshall Jr., you must like what you’re hearing about the former LSU wide receiver, who has struggled to start his NFL career. Last season, he posted 19 receptions (33) targets for 139 yards.

This was a complete day and night different from what we saw from Marshall in 2022, where he had 28 receptions (47 targets) for 490 yards and a touchdown.

Canales also mentioned he’s curious to see where Marshall goes as the former second-round pick hasn’t played up to standard. However, with this being a new regime, it’s the perfect spot for Marshall to change the trajectory of his career.

More Panthers news and analysis:

feed