Dave Canales Reveals Plan to Rescue Panthers Offense

Feb 1, 2024; Charlotte, NC, USA;  Carolina Panthers head coach Dave Canales speaks to the media during the introductory press conference for new general manager Dan Morgan and head coach Dave Canales at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
Feb 1, 2024; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers head coach Dave Canales speaks to the media during the introductory press conference for new general manager Dan Morgan and head coach Dave Canales at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports / Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit

The Panthers suffered through one of the worst offenses in recent memory last season, though new head coach Dave Canales has a specific plan to help fix the issues.

Carolina averaged 4.1 yards per play last year, the worst mark since the 2012 Arizona Cardinals. To compare it to the Titanic would only partially be an overstatement, so Canales and general manager Dan Morgan set out to reshape the entire supporting cast around Bryce Young.

He brings a new philosophy to the organization, one that apparently hinges on free-agent acquisition Diontae Johnson.

Dave Canales Plans to Build Panthers Offense Around WR Diontae Johnson

"As we build our offense, we really try to feature someone," said Canales at training camp. "For us right now, 'Where's Diontae Johnson at?'...We have our progressions and we're going to move him around in formation but the rest of the guys have to come alive as the coverages dictate it."

That's encouraging news given Johnson's obvious fit with the team. He fills a need, and it sounds like he'll be the new centerpiece of Canales' offense with Young.

Johnson underwhelmed in 2023 largely due to the Steelers' disastrous quarterback room. If the Panthers are right about Young's potential, Johnson could be the hidden puzzle piece to unlock a competitive football team.

He caught 107 passes for 1,161 yards and eight TDs in 2021 then added 882 yards in 2022, so he's not far removed from impressive production. Johnson's only 28 years old and considered one of the best route-runners in the NFL, giving him a clear path to immediate impact with his new team.

Rookie Xavier Legette is exciting and Adam Thielen had over 1,000 yards last year, but it appears Johnson is the focal point of the passing game. Canales helped Baker Mayfield enjoy a career year in 2023 and appears well on his way to accomplishing the same for Young.

More Carolina Panthers News:

feed