Dave Canales Clarifies the Panthers Running Back Rotation

The Carolina Panthers head coach Dave Canales explains his vision for the deep and talented running back room.
Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit

All of a sudden, the Carolina Panthers have a stacked running back rotation. After struggling to run the ball last season, the Panthers will have plenty of talent and depth in their running back room, giving head coach Dave Canales an excellent problem to solve.

Talented rusher Chuba Hubbard will likely start the season at RB1. The Panthers used a second-round pick on Jonathon Brooks out of Texas and signed Rashaad Penny in free agency. They still have Pro Bowler Miles Sanders on the roster.

This understandably raised a lot of questions for Panthers fans. During the rookie minicamp, Canales addressed these questions and explained his vision for the running backs for next season.

Panthers HC Dave Canales: Jonathon Brooks Will Have Big Role in Offense

In his statement to the media members, the first-time head coach explained his offensive approach. Being surprisingly transparent in his remarks, Canales pointed out the importance of running the ball as a huge part of their offense.

"The intent of our offense is to run the ball. We believe in that. We believe that that opens up everything we want to do."

Panthers HC Dave Caneles

This explains the significant investment in the position. It is therefore understandable that the Panthers reached early for the most talented rusher in the draft when they selected Brooks with the 46th overall pick.

Brooks is recovering from a knee injury but Canales is confident that he will have a large role within the offense. Saying that the 20-year-old will "touch the ball a lot", Canales potentially hints at tandem in the backfield. It sounds like Hubbard and Brooks will split the rushing duties, and depending on how that goes, we might see even more changes in the rotation.

More Panthers news and rumors:

feed