Andy Dalton Breaks Silence on Stunning Week 3 Promotion

Sep 8, 2024; New Orleans, Louisiana, USA;  Carolina Panthers quarterback Andy Dalton (14) walks off the field against the New Orleans Saints during the pregame at Caesars Superdome. Mandatory Credit: Stephen Lew-Imagn Images
Sep 8, 2024; New Orleans, Louisiana, USA; Carolina Panthers quarterback Andy Dalton (14) walks off the field against the New Orleans Saints during the pregame at Caesars Superdome. Mandatory Credit: Stephen Lew-Imagn Images / Stephen Lew-Imagn Images
facebooktwitterreddit

The Panthers have officially moved on from Bryce Young and will start Andy Dalton in Week 3 against the Raiders on Sunday. It's unclear what Carolina intends to do with Young, though Dalton officially made his first comments since being promoted.

He started just one game in 2023 and has bounced around the league, playing for the Bengals, Cowboys, Bears, Saints, and now Panthers over the last handful of years. He's a three-time Pro Bowler but hasn't been considered a top-tier starter for a decade.

Nonetheless, he's the guy for Carolina moving forward in what's immediately become one of the NFL's most interesting storylines.

Andy Dalton Breaks Silence on Panthers Promotion

"It's definitely a different perspective," Dalton said. "You're coming in and you didn't get all of the OTA reps, things were kind for somebody else...At this point in my career, I'm just thankful for an opportunity. I wasn't sure if I was going to get it again."

He sounded thrilled and ready to take advantage of the chance, knowing it might be his last grasp at a starting role.

"I'm fired up, I'm pumped," Dalton continued. "I'm just really looking forward to it."

It's hard for him to be worse than Young, who completed just 55.4% of his passes through two games with no TDs and three interceptions. Carolina's offense was destroyed in both blowout losses, and head cach Dave Canales knew he was risking losing the locker room if he didn't make a move.

This is Dalton's team now and if he succeeds in Week 3, he could keep the starting job for the rest of the season.

More Carolina Panthers News:

feed