3 Panthers on the Trade Block After the NFL Draft

Carolina should try to get some value for these players before it's too late.
Miles Sanders averaged just 3.3 yards per carry in 2023 despite being paid like one of the best running backs in the NFL
Miles Sanders averaged just 3.3 yards per carry in 2023 despite being paid like one of the best running backs in the NFL / Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
3 of 3
Next

3. Ian Thomas - TE

Ian Thomas was thought to be the lead tight end when he signed a three-year deal in 2022. But he was overtaken by Tommy Tremble on the depth chart and should now be behind fourth-round rookie Ja'Tavion Sanders.

I love Sanders' fit in this offense and think he could quickly become one of Bryce Young's favorite targets over the middle thanks to his rare blend of size and speed. He had 99 catches for 1,295 yards and seven TDs over the last two seasons, while Thomas had only five catches for 56 yards last year.

The 2018 fourth-round pick has ideal size for the position and could be valuable to teams without true depth at tight end, but I don't see the path for Thomas in Carolina to see significant playing time. This is the final year of his contract, so it'd make sense for a team to take a swing on him to see if they can tap into the potential he once showed.

Unless the Panthers move Tremble instead, Thomas doesn't have a place on the roster. That being said, he has excellent athletic testing numbers for a guy at 260 LBs. Plenty of teams could use another receiving tight end and Thomas' durability could make him an attractive option.

His days in Carolina are likely nearing an end, but I hope Thomas can get a fresh start elsewhere going into the new season.

More Carolina Panthers News:

feed