3 Key Observations From Duke's Impressive Win Over James Madison

The Blue Devils put forth perhaps their best performance of the season in this dominant victory
Jared McCain set a Duke freshman record for three-pointers in an NCAA Tournament game (8)
Jared McCain set a Duke freshman record for three-pointers in an NCAA Tournament game (8) / Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
3 of 3
Next

3. Jeremy Roach and Tyrese Proctor Found Their Forms

Both Jeremy Roach and Tyrese Proctor struggled at the end of the season but got back on track against James Madison.

Roach was 7-of-28 in his last three games, then shot 5-of-8 for 15 points and six assists in the win. Additionally, Proctor was 4-of-10 from beyond the arc for 18 points with five assists and three rebounds after shooting 9-of-30 in his previous two contests.

These are Duke's two best perimeter players, so to see them regain confidence and make some shots was a huge boost to the Blue Devils' chances.

Kyle FIlipowski was his typical efficient self, scoring 14 points on eight shots. You can't count on a historic Jared McCain performance every single time, though you should be able to count on Roach and Proctor.

I had my doubts about the Blue Devils because of the duo's inefficient output. If this game was a sign of things to come, Duke is in excellent shape. Houston has KenPom's No. 1 defense and this will be a much more difficult test, but I now have confidence in Roach and Proctor to score enough to give the Blue Devils a chance to win.

More Duke Blue Devils News:

feed

Odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.