3 Duke Blue Devils on Thin Ice After Embarrassing Loss to NC State

These Blue Devils need to improve if they want to make a deep postseason run
Tyrese Proctor shot just 4-of-16 from the field in the loss to NC State
Tyrese Proctor shot just 4-of-16 from the field in the loss to NC State / Jaylynn Nash-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
3 of 3
Next

3. Jon Scheyer

At least some of the blame has to lay at Scheyer's feet. Honestly, I don't understand the game plan from Duke's head coach in this one.

Every starter played at least 34 minutes, while players off the bench like Sean Stewart got five minutes, TJ Power had eight and Ryan Young played six. In the Blue Devils' win not even two weeks ago, those three players combined for 49 minutes and were mostly excellent.

Stewart destroyed the Wolfpack's attempts to drive the lane, finishing with three blocks and two steals to go along with 12 points on 5-of-7 shooting in 26 minutes. You're telling me that guy only gets five minutes in the rematch? It just doesn't make any sense.

I understand that Duke is not a deep team, but Stewart deserves more than the 12 combined minutes he's played since the initial NC State win. Scheyer has to do a better job of preserving his starters so they don't get tired down the stretch, and I was baffled by the way he used his rotations when it was clear things weren't going well.

The Blue Devils now have some time off to recover and figure out what went wrong. If Scheyer doesn't get his starters some rest and Stewart involved a bit more, this team will be in trouble when they run into a deep squad. They've got the opportunity to adjust - here's hoping they take advantage of it.

More Duke Blue Devils News:

feed

Odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.