Carolina Panthers 2020 Schedule: Five easiest games

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA - FEBRUARY 26: Head coach Ron Rivera of the Washington Redskins interviews during the second day of the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 26, 2020 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Alika Jenner/Getty Images)
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA - FEBRUARY 26: Head coach Ron Rivera of the Washington Redskins interviews during the second day of the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 26, 2020 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Alika Jenner/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
2 of 6
Next

No. 5: Week 17, vs New Orleans Saints — 1 p.m. on FOX

ORLANDO, FLORIDA – JANUARY 26: Drew Brees #9 of the New Orleans Saints warming up prior to the 2020 NFL Pro Bowl at Camping World Stadium on January 26, 2020 in Orlando, Florida. (Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images)
ORLANDO, FLORIDA – JANUARY 26: Drew Brees #9 of the New Orleans Saints warming up prior to the 2020 NFL Pro Bowl at Camping World Stadium on January 26, 2020 in Orlando, Florida. (Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images) /

Okay, okay, I know this is not what you were expecting for the easiest games list but hear me out. I’m going to gamble that the Saints will have wrapped up their playoff seeding by this point and will be resting their starters. It happened to the Panthers in the 2018 season, when Carolina was able to win 33-14 despite the Saints being the best team in the NFC.

The thought of playing Drew Brees, Michael Thomas, and Alvin Kamara with playoff seeding on the line is not appealing. But a squad led by Jameis Winston and Latavius Murray is a bit more appetizing. With little to play for, this becomes an easier game for the Panthers than originally meets the eye.

There are several factors that will affect this match-up. One, of course, is the battle between the Buccaneers and the Saints for the top of the division. If Tom Brady and co. can put things together quickly (not a given with the current climate), they could undoubtedly push this division right to the finale. A close division race or potential Buccaneers victory pushes the Saints to play their starters.

The second factor is the pandemic’s effect on the schedule. The NFL has stated that if any early games have to be postponed, they may be pushed until after Week 17. If that becomes reality, this Week 17 match-up against New Orleans won’t end up being the last game of the season, effectively nullifying any sit vs start dilemma.

This pick is definitely a gamble but there really aren’t a whole lot of easy games on an NFL schedule. We’ll take our chances that Winston is the starter and throws four interceptions in his only start of the season.