Respect Your Elders: Ranking the best Duke Seniors of the Decade

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

GREENSBORO, NC – MARCH 13: Mason Plumlee #5 of the Duke Blue Devils shoots against John Henson #31 of the North Carolina Tar Heels in the championship game of the 2011 ACC men’s basketball tournament at the Greensboro Coliseum on March 13, 2011 in Greensboro, North Carolina. Duke won 75-58 in regulation. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)

Over the last decade, the one-and-done trend has provided the majority of headlines, highlights, and acclaim at Duke.

It is easy to do a quick Google search and find lists that rank the best one-and-done college basketball careers, lottery picks and NBA players. But I think it’s time that the old guys get their due. When I began watching Duke Basketball there were guys like Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, and Bobby Hurley who led teams of Juniors and Seniors who had marinated for years together in practice, through the gauntlet of several ACC regular seasons and numerous tournament runs. Those days have changed but in order for a team to have sustained success, they must have a mix of blockbuster young talent and seasoned experience.

In this group, there are not many lottery picks, zero NBA All-Star selections and even a few professional basketball careers that made their way overseas. But when you look at their careers at Duke you will find six of the players on our list who left Durham with National Championship rings and each one of them left a mark that the fan base will not soon forget. Let’s begin…

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse
Load Comments