Carolina Panthers: Five free-agent quarterbacks the team could target

Cam Newton of the Carolina Panthers (Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty Images)
Cam Newton of the Carolina Panthers (Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
2 of 6
Next
Teddy Bridgewater of the New Orleans Saints (Photo by Nuccio DiNuzzo/Getty Images)
Teddy Bridgewater of the New Orleans Saints (Photo by Nuccio DiNuzzo/Getty Images) /

Teddy Bridgewater

Like the Panthers, the Saints were forced to deal with an injury to their starting quarterback early in the 2019 season. In Week Two, Drew Brees suffered a torn ligament in his right thumb, and missed the team’s next five games. To replace him, backup Teddy Bridgewater came in and won all five of New Orleans’ games in Brees’ absence, including a road victory against the Seahawks.

In five starts this season, Bridgewater completed 115 of 165 (69.7%) pass attempts for 1,205 yards and nine touchdowns with just two interceptions. Prior to 2019, he hadn’t had any amount of extended playing time since suffering a catastrophic left knee injury while with the Vikings in August of 2016. The non-contact injury resulted in a torn ACL as well as a knee dislocation and additional structural damage. Bridgewater’s injury was so severe that Minnesota’s medical team immediately called 911 and rushed him to a trauma center in order to save leg. In response to the gruesome situation, Bridgewater issued the following powerful statement:

"“I come from amazing DNA, I watched my mom fight and win against breast cancer. We will, as a team, attack my rehab with the same vigor and energy. My faith is strong, my faith is unwavering, and my vision is clear. My purpose will not be denied.”"

Due to the injury, he missed the entire 2016 season, and made just one appearance—albeit an emotional one—in 2017. The following summer he was traded to the Saints after an impressive preseason, and has made 14 appearances and six starts since. As far as a potential union with the Panthers goes, Bridgewater could be the ideal quarterback to go with Carolina’s offensive personnel.

He was a Pro-Bowler in 2015 when he was paired with a dominant Adrian Peterson, and could return to that level with Christian McCaffrey by his side. Stefon Diggs, who is similar to the Panthers’ DJ Moore in size and skill-set, found success with Bridgewater in Minnesota. Even Jarius Wright, who has spent the past two seasons with Carolina, had his best NFL season with Bridgewater at quarterback. It’s also worth noting that Kevin Stefanski, a candidate for the Panthers’ head-coaching job, coached the quarterback in Minnesota. On top of all that, he proved during his time with the Vikings that he is also capable of using his legs to pick up extra yardage. If Carolina were to move on from Newton, they had better replace him with someone capable of leading them to the playoffs. At just 27 years old, Bridgewater’s talent and perseverance could make him the perfect fit.