Carolina Panthers vs. New Orleans Saints staff predictions

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - NOVEMBER 24: Christian McCaffrey #22 of the Carolina Panthers runs the ball against the New Orleans Saints during the third quarter in the game at Mercedes Benz Superdome on November 24, 2019 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Sean Gardner/Getty Images)
NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - NOVEMBER 24: Christian McCaffrey #22 of the Carolina Panthers runs the ball against the New Orleans Saints during the third quarter in the game at Mercedes Benz Superdome on November 24, 2019 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Sean Gardner/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Carolina Panthers (5-10) will play their season finale this weekend when they host the New Orleans Saints (12-3) on Sunday.

The Carolina Panthers’ miserable 2019 season will come to an end this Sunday when they face off with the New Orleans Saints in Charlotte. Carolina nearly took down the Saints in Week 12, however, the wheels have completely fallen off since then. The Panthers will likely finish with their worst record since 2010, and enter Sunday as 14-point underdogs. With a loss, Carolina could pick as high as sixth in April’s NFL draft. With a win, they would likely select around 10th. Without further ado, here are Old North Banter’s staff predictions for this weekend’s game.

Christian McCaffrey of the Carolina Panthers
Christian McCaffrey of the Carolina Panthers (Photo by Sean Gardner/Getty Images) /

Christian Candeloro (@christiancande3): Saints 34, Panthers 7

Well, I finally bucked my pessimistic ways and predicted a Panthers win last week over the Colts and wow, was that a MASSIVE mistake. Will Grier played alright, although the game plan and the fact he was down two touchdowns almost immediately didn’t help him.  There is no one on the Panthers roster (or in the league, for that matter) who can match up with Michael Thomas in the passing game and the Saints seem to have re-established a formula for using Alvin Kamara. The Saints still have a lot to play for and will be heavily motivated to get a first round bye.

Also, did you see that the Saints might be signing Antonio Brown??? That’s just a scary proposition. Hopefully he won’t be anywhere near the field on Sunday. Either way I’m taking the Saints in a rout.

Zack Smith (@zackrusmith): Saints 31, Panthers 13

Like most fans, I think that the Panthers are pretty “checked out” at this point. Everyone is just awaiting answers for who the quarterback and head coach will be going forward. Because of this, I believe that the Saints are going to gain a large lead early in this one and cruise to the finish. I would be surprised if you see Drew Brees in the fourth quarter. It will be a good day if the Panthers can just get out of there with Christian McCaffrey in one piece.

Luke Tucker (@luketucker19_): Saints 45, Panthers 14

Two weeks ago, the Saints demolished the Colts on Monday Night Football. Last weekend, the same Colts team thrashed the Panthers. That being said, Carolina stands no chance against the Saints. New Orleans is (much) better in every facet of the game, and are playing to earn a first-round bye. Meanwhile, the Panthers have nothing to gain on Sunday other than bettering their draft pick. It is worth mentioning, though, that McCaffrey needs just 216 yards to break Chris Johnson’s single-season record for most yards from scrimmage. A solid developmental day from Grier and a re-writing of the record books would be considered a successful day for the Panthers.