Final Season Predictions for the Carolina Hurricanes

RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA - MAY 14: Calvin de Haan #44 of the Carolina Hurricanes celebrates with his teammates after scoring a goal on Tuukka Rask #40 of the Boston Bruins during the second period in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Finals during the 2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at PNC Arena on May 14, 2019 in Raleigh, North Carolina. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA - MAY 14: Calvin de Haan #44 of the Carolina Hurricanes celebrates with his teammates after scoring a goal on Tuukka Rask #40 of the Boston Bruins during the second period in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Finals during the 2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at PNC Arena on May 14, 2019 in Raleigh, North Carolina. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

Our writers put down their final predictions for where the Hurricanes will finish in the Metropolitan and playoffs.

The expectations following the 2018-19 Carolina Hurricanes were minuscule. Most Hurricanes fans were barely paying attention to the team, so disillusioned by the 10-year playoff drought. When the team sat near the bottom of the standings around New Year’s, there was further reason to expect more of the same.

After a torrid end to the season and a deep playoff run, suddenly there is a real expectation that this year’s version of the team should at the very least make the playoffs.

The team added Erik Haula, Ryan Dzingel, James Reimer, Anton ForsbergJoel Edmundson, Jake Gardiner, and Martin Necas to the team, there is an opportunity for improvement. There is also always the possibility of chemistry issues and regression.

So with the Hurricanes’ season starting tonight, our writers put down their final predictions for the 2019-20 squad.

RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA – MAY 16: The Carolina Hurricanes mascot Hamilton visits the rink following the game against the Boston Bruins in Game Four of the Eastern Conference Final during the 2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the PNC Arena on May 16, 2019 in Raleigh, North Carolina. The Bruins shut out the Hurricanes 4-0 to sweep the series and move on to the Stanley Cup Finals. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA – MAY 16: The Carolina Hurricanes mascot Hamilton visits the rink following the game against the Boston Bruins in Game Four of the Eastern Conference Final during the 2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the PNC Arena on May 16, 2019 in Raleigh, North Carolina. The Bruins shut out the Hurricanes 4-0 to sweep the series and move on to the Stanley Cup Finals. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images) /

What’s your final standings and playoff prediction for the Hurricanes?

Tyler Young: The Hurricanes finished with 99 points in the standings last year. This was good for 4th in the Metro and the first wild card spot in the east. Looking over the last five seasons, only one team has finished in the top three without breaking the 100 point mark (2018 Flyers). That’s why I believe the Hurricanes will continue to progress and break the century mark for the first time since 2006. Dzingel upfront and Haula on the power play boosts the Canes to a couple of extra wins, finishing with 101 points and a third-place finish in another competitive year for the Metropolitan division.

Christian Candeloro: As optimistic as I want to be with this team and oh how much I want to continue to bask in last year’s Cinderella run, I just deep down believe that a regression is coming for the Hurricanes. I said earlier I’m worried about a Petr Mrazek dive back into mediocrity and if that happens then the Hurricanes will not make the playoffs.

Carolina is also betting on Haula and Dzingel bouncing back and playing a large role on the team. Add in the loss of Justin Williams to retirement and you just have too many unknowns. I think people forget how important Williams was to this team and how losing him will be a big deal. The team already can’t decide if they are going to do the Storm Surge again.

I predict a drop to 84 points and a 6th place finish in the Metropolitan. I really hope I’m wrong and everything gels, but on the spot, I have to bet against it.

Ryan Henkel: I have the Hurricanes ending up in the second-place spot in the Metropolitan division. I think a team like New Jersey or Philadelphia will make the push to re-enter the playoff picture and can be matched up against the Hurricanes in the first round.

I think with the current roster built up with playoff experience in the returning players and in everyone that was added, the Hurricanes will easily cruise through the first round of the playoffs. They will then more than likely take on what I predict will be the divisional winner Washington Capitals. This rematch will be a slugfest that will take its toll on the Canes who barely won out last season. If the Hurricanes can come out on top, I think the series will take too much and they will falter in the Eastern Conference Finals again.

So there you have it, our 2019-20 Carolina Hurricanes predictions. Who’s right? Who’s way off? What’s your prediction?