Cam Newton Status Unknown

Cam Newton of the Carolina Panthers (Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty Images)
Cam Newton of the Carolina Panthers (Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

Newton A No-Show at Practice

It was reported earlier today that Carolina Panthers star quarterback Cam Newton did not attend practice and many fans went on a frenzy wondering why.

After speculations on what caused the former Heisman Trophy winner to miss today’s practice, it was confirmed by head coach Ron Rivera that the star quarterback’s re-aggravated foot injury was to blame.

Newton first injured his left foot this pre-season against the New England Patriots, but despite the pain, he played the first two games of the regular season starting 0-2 while being hindered by his injury.

Rivera, after the team’s practice today, took time to address the media about Newton and what to expect moving forward. Rivera opened the press conference with no true update on how long Newton is expected to be out but did confirm the re-aggravated foot as being the reason why.

Potential Starter Named Ahead of Sunday

Rivera also went on to name Kyle Allen as the starter this Sunday versus the Arizona Cardinals and moving forward while Newton rehabs his left foot. Allen went for 18/34 passes at a 52.9% clip with a 66.4 quarterback rating.

When asked if the Panthers would seek a veteran quarterback, the thought quickly went away with Rivera replying “I don’t think so. The guys we have here, we brought them here for a reason.” Rivera appears to be putting complete and absolute trust in Allen as the starter and in back up rookie Will Grier.

How Are Fans Taking the News?

Fans all over social media are not too happy after hearing Rivera’s lack of an update on the timetable for Newton returning after saying “I have no idea” on rather the quarterback would be available for Sunday’s game against Arizona.

Many are suggesting to sit Newton for the rest of the season to allow him to get fully healthy and simply embracing the tank. Despite the 0-2 start, expect the Panthers to fight no matter who is in at quarterback, not only for a playoff spot but possibly for Rivera’s job as well.