Carolina Panthers vs Buffalo Bills Week 2 Preseason: Preview, Prediction, Watch

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - DECEMBER 30: Kyle Allen #7 of the Carolina Panthers throws a pass against the New Orleans Saints during the first half at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on December 30, 2018 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - DECEMBER 30: Kyle Allen #7 of the Carolina Panthers throws a pass against the New Orleans Saints during the first half at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on December 30, 2018 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

In their first home game of the season, the Carolina Panthers take on the Buffalo Bills. After practicing together this week how will the two teams match up? Who’s playing and who isn’t?

This wouldn’t be a Panthers preview with talking about Cam Newton and since there really isn’t much to report on, let’s go ahead and get that out of the way. Cam is not playing in week two against the Bills, we knew this. Head Coach Ron Rivera and the Panthers training staff are adamant about keeping Cam on his paced path of recovery and like I said last week, that is all good with me.

One interesting thing that did pop up this week came from the joint practices that the Panthers and the Bills had in Spartanburg. Panthers former cornerback Captain Munnerlyn, who signed with the Bills in free agency, was back on the same practice field he made a home in his two stints in Carolina.

When speaking with the Charlotte Observer at practice, Munnerlyn commented on how he thought Cam Newton was looking following his shoulder surgery.

"It’s like night and day, his arm looks a whole lot better. You can tell he’s been working. I’m expecting big things."

That is a little good news that goes a long way in the hearts of Panthers fans who know that the fate of this team rests solely on Cam Newton’s right shoulder.

The backup quarterback battle will continue with no clear front runner at this point. In preseason week one no one really shined. Will Grier threw the Panthers only touchdown but also threw the only interception. Kyle Allen had the highest QBR of the three (83.9) but was sacked twice. Taylor Heinicke definitely fell to the bottom of the race, only completing four passes, averaging 4.9 yards per. At this point, I believe it will either be Grier or Allen unless Heinicke comes in and just rocks the house. My money is on Allen when it’s all said and done.

Brian Burns is also someone to look out for on Friday. The Panther’s 16th overall pick recorded two sacks and two tackles against the Bears in week one and eyes will be on him to see if that kind of performance can become a habit.

Opposite of Burns at outside linebacker is undrafted second-year vet Marquis Haynes who also had an impressive two sacks against the Bears. Coach Rivera said earlier that he was interested in a three-man rotation at the outside linebacker position with Burns, Bruce Irvin, and Mario Addison. These final three preseason games will prove if Burns is able to hold up to the pressure and if Haynes is able to get himself into that rotation. Expect some big plays from these guys.

Overall, I expect to see a lot of passes thrown as the Panthers try and figure out who QB2 is. I expect to see a lot of Spiderman posses from Brian Burns as he continues to show that he’s ready to be in a rotation with veterans. I also am looking to see who is going to win the last spot at wide receiver. Cat Crave contributor Alex Duran brought up in his preview of this week’s preseason game that there is still one last spot open and he believes Aldrick Robinson has a chance but has to shine on Friday.

"Robinson is facing arguably the stiffest competition for the Panthers this year. Robinson is fighting for the last wide receiver spot and can not afford to drop passes. Robinson must show out this Friday, especially considering rookie wide receiver Terry Godwin impressed on Thursday."

I made the mistake of picking against the Panthers in preseason week one and I won’t make the same mistake this week. A lot of guys have a lot to prove and I expect a good amount of highlights.

Prediction

Panthers 24, Bills 10

Heres how you can watch Fridays Carolina Panthers vs Buffalo Bills preseason game:

Date: Friday, August 16th

Time: 7:00 p.m. ET

Location: Charlotte, NC

Venue: Bank of America Stadium