Carolina Panthers: Three Position Battles to Watch in Preseason

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - DECEMBER 30: Kyle Allen #7 of the Carolina Panthers throws a pass against the New Orleans Saints during the first half at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on December 30, 2018 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - DECEMBER 30: Kyle Allen #7 of the Carolina Panthers throws a pass against the New Orleans Saints during the first half at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on December 30, 2018 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
2 of 4
Next

Back-up Quarterback

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA – DECEMBER 30: Kyle Allen #7 of the Carolina Panthers throws a pass against the New Orleans Saints during the first half at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on December 30, 2018 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA – DECEMBER 30: Kyle Allen #7 of the Carolina Panthers throws a pass against the New Orleans Saints during the first half at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on December 30, 2018 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images) /

With Newton sitting out the first game and his health a continuing question mark, this battle takes on extra importance. Second-year quarterback Kyle Allen was listed as the QB2 on the initial depth chart and should start for the Panthers on Thursday night.

Allen started the regular season finale against a resting New Orleans last season, going 16-27 for 228 yards and two touchdowns.

Allen has extra confidence entering this camp and could be poised to break out, according to Panthers.com:

"“I think for me it was just making quicker decisions, speeding up my feet, and just getting the ball out as quick as possible,” Allen said. “I think only being in the offense one year and this is my second year of the offense, I really needed to step it up in that area. So, really all offseason, all camp, that’s been my focus.”"

The match-up with the Bears will be our first opportunity to see 2019 third-round pick Will Grier, the closest challenger for the back-up position. While Grier is listed as the QB3 at the moment, he has the stronger arm and draft status on his side, making it likely that he’ll overtake Allen once he can learn the offense.

STILLWATER, OK – NOVEMBER 17: Quarterback Will Grier #7 of the West Virginia Mountaineers leaps into the end zone for a touchdown against the Oklahoma State Cowboys in the fourth quarter on November 17, 2018 at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Oklahoma State upset West Virginia 45-41. (Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images)
STILLWATER, OK – NOVEMBER 17: Quarterback Will Grier #7 of the West Virginia Mountaineers leaps into the end zone for a touchdown against the Oklahoma State Cowboys in the fourth quarter on November 17, 2018 at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Oklahoma State upset West Virginia 45-41. (Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images) /

As a senior at West Virginia, Grier threw for 3868 yards and 37 touchdowns, earning him All-Big 12 second team honors, only bested by future No. 1 pick Kyler Murray. The Charlotte native was the fifth quarterback off the board, going slightly higher than projected.

His draft profile on The Draft Network offers things to watch as the preseason goes on:

"PROS: Has the ability to read the defense and deliver the ball with a quick release. Possesses the necessary arm strength and generates enough torque to fit the ball through intermediate windows and holes in the defense. Can throw with touch to all areas of the field. Accurate in the short and intermediate ares of the field. Passionate leader. Cons: Doesn’t quite have an NFL build, and could stand to add some thickness. On the shorter side for QB’s, and isn’t full of strength. Accuracy can come and go on deep balls."

Not to be forgotten is Taylor Heinicke, another holdover from last season. The former Old Dominion product played in six games last season, completing 61.4 percent of his passes and throwing just one touchdown to three interceptions. This is his fifth season in the NFL, giving him a serious experience advantage.

Newton’s shoulder will be the topic of conversation throughout the season and if he falls victim to another injury, the team will have to rely on one of these three guys to step up and try and save the season.

Allen has the benefit of an extra year of experience in the Panthers system and many forget he had a strong college pedigree before going undrafted. Grier has the benefit of being a third-round pick, and Heinicke is likely the odd man out barring an injury.

Prediction: Grier is the QB2 by Week One