Getting to know P.J. Washington with Wildcat Blue Nation

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - JUNE 20: PJ Washington poses with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver after being drafted with the 12th overall pick by the Charlotte Hornets during the 2019 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center on June 20, 2019 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Sarah Stier/Getty Images)
NEW YORK, NEW YORK - JUNE 20: PJ Washington poses with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver after being drafted with the 12th overall pick by the Charlotte Hornets during the 2019 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center on June 20, 2019 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Sarah Stier/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

We talked with Wildcat Blue Nation about the Hornets’ new forward.

Before the drama of free agency began, the Hornets set their sights on bringing in new talent via the NBA Draft. Charlotte’s first round selection was forward P.J. Washington, a 6’7″ forward who averaged 15.2 points per game as a sophomore for the Kentucky Wildcats this season.

To better get to know Washington and what the Hornets have in their new rookie, we talked with our friends at Wildcat Blue Nation, the official FanSided blog covering everything University of Kentucky.

1. What type of player are the Hornets getting in Washington?

With PJ, Charlotte is acquiring a fan favorite and someone who plays incredibly hard but smiles nonstop. On the basketball court, Washington plays with perpetual comfort and never looks flustered or out of position. He’s a versatile power forward and hard worker who will reach his ceiling—whatever it looks like. He scores efficiently in one-on-one situations, hits the glass hard, plays smart team-oriented defense, and is a high IQ passer. All the tools are there for PJ to be an elite two-way power forward. And don’t discount his 3-point shot which checked in at over 40% in 2019.

2. His development skyrocketed between his freshman and sophomore season, what was the biggest catalyst in that change?

As a sophomore, PJ was far more assertive. Unlike his freshman season, Washington was billed as the undisputed leader of the team and someone who should garner All-American potential. With a new burden of expectations on his plate, PJ responded by totally altering his body, slimming down and adding muscle where necessary. His new frame and mindset, plus the experience from year one set him up for a stellar sophomore season. Aside from the offcourt developments, PJ simply looked more comfortable and certain in his abilities while on the court this past season. As an obsessed fan, I trusted Washington every second he was on the floor. The talent was never the question, PJ just figured out how to seize it in his second year in Lexington.

3. Compare Washington to a current NBA player

It’s always difficult to draw exact player comparisons for NBA prospects, but with Washington the task was even tougher. I would compare his game at the next level to a combination of the Morris twins. He’s got the perimeter versatility and projected 3-point ability of Marcus, while also possessing the ability to post up and score or really rebound the basketball like Markieff. And like both, he’s a steady and reliable defender. Although I believe PJ has a much higher ceiling than either of the Morris’s.

Next. Hornets should "Trust the Process". dark