Carolina Panthers: Luke Kuechly wants to improve pass rush

CHARLOTTE, NC - DECEMBER 17: Luke Kuechly #59 of the Carolina Panthers warms up before their game against the Green Bay Packers at Bank of America Stadium on December 17, 2017 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
CHARLOTTE, NC - DECEMBER 17: Luke Kuechly #59 of the Carolina Panthers warms up before their game against the Green Bay Packers at Bank of America Stadium on December 17, 2017 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

Luke Kuechly is one of the best linebackers in the game but even he knows what he wants to improve this upcoming season for the Carolina Panthers.

It is hard to argue with the case for Carolina Panthers’ Luke Kuechly as one of the best linebackers in the game. He has dealt with concussion issues the past few seasons which has kept him off the field but when he is on the field, he can impact a game like no other.

However, even though he is one of the top linebackers in the game, the veteran knows that he can still find ways to improve. One area is his pass rush and his ability to get the quarterback.

In six seasons, Kuechly only has 10.5 sacks and has never had more than three in a season.

According to Charlotte Observer’s Jourdan Rodrigue, Kuechly said after Sunday’s practice:

"“Ah, man, (my) pass rush,” he said. “I need to improve on that leaps and bounds. … Thomas (Davis) beats me in that every year. I have to try to get him back.”"

Kuechly should have plenty of chances this coming season if defensive coordinator Eric Washington continues to follow Steve Wilks defensive gameplan. The Panthers last year led the league in blitz percentage on passing plays on first down, according to Pro Football Focus. This defense called blitzes on 44% of the passing downs.

While they didn’t lead the league on second and third down, they were in the Top 5. On second downs, the Panthers were third at 41% and they were second on third downs with blitzes on 48% of passing downs.

While Kuechly would like to improve his pass rush, his ability in the passing game could limit his chances to get rush the quarterback. Kuechly is one of the best in pass coverage and finished first in the league among linebackers in passer rating when targeted, per Pro Football Focus. He also has had multiple interceptions in four of his six seasons in the league.

Next. How should the Carolina Panthers replace Daryl Williams?. dark

While Luke Kuechly would love to lead the Carolina Panthers’ linebackers in sacks next year, it is unlikely with his ability to cover players in the pass game.