UNC Football: Antonio Williams eligible to play in 2018

COLUMBUS, OH - OCTOBER 1: Antonio Williams #26 of the Ohio State Buckeyes is brought down by Anthony Cioffi #31 of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights and Kevin Marquez #40 of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights after a gain in the fourth quarter at Ohio Stadium on October 1, 2016 in Columbus, Ohio. Ohio State defeated Rutgers 58-0. (Photo by Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)
COLUMBUS, OH - OCTOBER 1: Antonio Williams #26 of the Ohio State Buckeyes is brought down by Anthony Cioffi #31 of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights and Kevin Marquez #40 of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights after a gain in the fourth quarter at Ohio Stadium on October 1, 2016 in Columbus, Ohio. Ohio State defeated Rutgers 58-0. (Photo by Jamie Sabau/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

The UNC Football offense got a boost on Friday with news that Antonio Williams is eligible to play in 2018.

The running back position was one of the most talented on this UNC football team and this year they will be even better with news on Friday night. According to Inside Carolina, Antonio Williams has been declared eligible to play in 2018 by the NCAA after they accepted a waiver to bypass the transfer rule.

Williams, originally committed to UNC in 2013, however he withdrew that commitment and eventually signed with Ohio State. This past season with the Buckeyes was his most productive, carrying the ball 57 times for 290 rushing yards and three touchdowns. However, he was a a distant third option behind J.K. Dobbins and Mike Weber. He did not register a single stat in the final three games of the season, including the Big Ten Championship and the Rose Bowl.

Unfortunately for Williams, the Tar Heels’ running back depth chart isn’t that much less crowded. The offense brings back leading rusher Jordan Brown, who had 138 carries for 613 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns. In addition to Brown, sophomore Michael Carter is back who split the work with Brown last year. Carter finished with 97 carries for 558 rushing yards and eight touchdowns.

However, Williams could surpass both this year and become the star of this backfield. According to ESPN, Antonio Williams was a four star prospect and the ninth best in his class at the running back position in 2015. He has the build to be that workhorse running back for this offense and carry the ball 10-15 times a game.

During the ACC Kickoff head coach Larry Fedora was asked about the running back position and specifically singled out Williams.

"Q. You spoke about having a dual-threat quarterback, but what you can say about the evolution of your backfield from last season to this season? I know you were looking for some guys to kind of show themselves out last year. What are you seeing going into the fall? LARRY FEDORA: Well, Michael Carter came in as a true freshman and really did some great things for us in that role at running back. Jordon Brown did some really good things, so they split the time back there. I anticipate that we brought in a young man by the name of Antonio Williams that I think is definitely going to help our football team. There at running back, I think we’re going to be really solid. Whether we’re going to be a one-back running back or running back by committee, that’s still to be seen. Whoever has got the hot hand is going to be the guy that’s playing. They know it’s about production. That’s the way it is on our football team. Same thing at quarterback, same"

Next. Breaking down the QB battle for UNC. dark

Fedora should be excited that Williams will be ready to go for their first practice on August 3rd and will be in uniform on September 1st when the UNC football team travels to face Cal.