North Carolina Tar Heels: Pinson, Maye Primed for Repeat

GLENDALE, AZ - APRIL 03: Theo Pinson
GLENDALE, AZ - APRIL 03: Theo Pinson /
facebooktwitterreddit

With Roy Williams’ third championship in the books, the Tar Heels will look to Theo Pinson and Luke Maye as two of North Carolina’s key leaders.

On the heels of winning its third national title in head coach Roy Williams’ tenure, North Carolina want to head back for more. Theo Pinson and Luke Maye are two of the Heels’ biggest contributors that can aid that cause.

“I feel like with the new season right around the corner, it gives us something to look forward to,” Maye said. “We all have the same goals in mind, and we all want to do it again.”

The Heels will have plenty of new faces on the team. Former Pitt Panther Cam Johnson is one such fresh face that gives Carolina hope for another title run. Johnson will be eligible immediately for UNC due to graduate transfer rules.

More from Old North Banter

“He’s an unbelievable guy and really works hard and late nights at the gym,” Maye said. “We’re really going to use him a lot. He proved himself at Pitt, so we’re glad that he’s on our team now.”

Unfortunately for fans of the baby blue, the Heels will be without one of their major returning players to start the year. Joel Berry II will miss extended time with a broken hand after punching a door in response to losing in a video game. North Carolina will be lacking without Berry’s production, but Pinson sees a silver lining within the guard’s misstep.

“Of course we don’t want Joel to get hurt at all,” Pinson said. “At the same time, you look at the positives. “It might be a blessing in disguise. It definitely can help the young guys come off and get those big-time minutes and have to produce because we don`t have Joel Berry to throw right back in there to save the day.”

Next: Duke Blue Devils: Allen’s Leadership Key for Upcoming Season

The road to repeating as the nation’s top team is always a challenging one. The Tar Heels’ journey will begin Friday, Nov. 10 at home against Northern Iowa.