Carolina Panthers: Deashon Hall On Board at Pick 77

The Carolina Panthers drafted a starting defensive end from Texas A&M in the third round, just not the one you recognize.

The Carolina Panthers were not supposed to pick until number 98 in the third round. That is where their compensatory selection from losing Josh Norman came from.

However the Panthers joined the trade party and jumped up to number seventy-seven by trading ninety-eight and their fourth rounder to the Arizona Cardinals. They then used the pick to draft Daeshon Hall, sadly the non-paleontologist of the two Texas A&M defensive ends.

But let’s not let my shared love of dinosaurs with Myles Garrett tint the selection of his partner in sack here in the third round. I am kind of excited for another reason – I called Hill to the Panthers in my mock selections (just at 98). My thoughts are pretty much the same now as they were then. In fact here were those thoughts (without calling him Daeshon Hill, which I evidently was stuck on):

98

Daeshon Hall

Defensive End, Texas A&M

There is a theory that the guy who lined up on
the other side of the premier pass rusher might be pretty good too. Like
Michael Sam? The Panthers drafted the
other guy, Kony Ealy. Like Mario Williams? Try Manny Lawson. No one thinks Hill will be a
better prospect than Myles Garrett, but he could be pretty good
in his own right. The Panthers have enough depth to try out the rangy
Aggie and let him grow into the position without too much
pressure.

This should quiet the need for edge rusher help for the remainder of the draft. The Panthers likely leave day two of the draft in good shape. They grabbed a tackle, a defensive end, and two weapons to put around Cam Newton on offense. That has to feel pretty good.

The Carolina Panthers do not have a fourth round pick anymore, but they will return in tomorrow’s fifth round with three more chances to add young talent to the roster.