North Carolina Tar Heels: The Case for Mitch Trubisky

Oct 1, 2016; Tallahassee, FL, USA; North Carolina Tarheels players including quarterback Mitch Trubisky (10) celebrate after the win against the Florida State Seminoles at Doak Campbell Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Melina Vastola-USA TODAY Sports
Oct 1, 2016; Tallahassee, FL, USA; North Carolina Tarheels players including quarterback Mitch Trubisky (10) celebrate after the win against the Florida State Seminoles at Doak Campbell Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Melina Vastola-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
3 of 3
Next
Dec 30, 2016; Nashville , TN, USA; Tennessee Volunteers defensive end Derek Barnett (9) and Tennessee Volunteers defensive lineman Jonathan Kongbo (1) talk with Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Ryker Fyfe (17) after a near sack during the first half at Nissan Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports
Dec 30, 2016; Nashville , TN, USA; Tennessee Volunteers defensive end Derek Barnett (9) and Tennessee Volunteers defensive lineman Jonathan Kongbo (1) talk with Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Ryker Fyfe (17) after a near sack during the first half at Nissan Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports /
  1. How good is Myles Garrett?

This may seem to be a no-brainer. If you had a bunch of guys playing pickup, Garrett would be the first guy taken every time. He is a physical freak. He looks like a monster pass rusher in the age of the passing quarterback. That player is you best friend on the defensive side of the ball.

However, Garrett was criticized by Warren Sapp for taking plays off at Texas A&M. Jadaveon Clowney had a similar reputation at South Carolina, and because of injuries we weren’t really sure about his motor until this past season. What kind of learning curve will Garrett have? Would that matter to you?

More from Old North Banter

The other thing that people don’t talk about are the people behind Garrett in this draft. For the Browns, they have the first and twelfth picks. It is a combo deal. They must target the best combo. Behind Trubisky is only Watson and then maybe Mahomes. Behind Garrett is Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Allen, and Derrick Barnett. They aren’t slouches either.

Barnett intrigues me the most out of this group, because I still believe that he will be the easiest conversion to a 3-4 outside linebacker in the set like Cleveland runs. I would prefer to see Garrett as a Julius Peppers type 4-3 end. Now I may not get my wish, but you should be able to find Barnett at twelve. Will Watson be waiting at twelve? Harder to say. How much better will Garrett be over Barnett for the course of his career? No one really knows.

Next: Do You Know Jack?

These are the three things that might drive Cleveland into Trubisky’s camp by tomorrow night. They need a franchise quarterback, he’s the best one of a decent quarterback crop, they may never get this opportunity again, and the relative value of Garrett over his fellow pass rushers may be overrated (we are dealing with the Moneyball people in Cleveland).