Charlotte Hornets: An Off-Season Fantasy (Or is it?)

Jan 21, 2017; Charlotte, NC, USA; Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker (15) talks to head coach Steve Clifford during the first half against the Brooklyn Nets at the Spectrum Center. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports
Jan 21, 2017; Charlotte, NC, USA; Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker (15) talks to head coach Steve Clifford during the first half against the Brooklyn Nets at the Spectrum Center. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
1 of 4
Next
charlotte hornets
Jan 21, 2017; Charlotte, NC, USA; Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker (15) talks to head coach Steve Clifford during the first half against the Brooklyn Nets at the Spectrum Center. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports /

Is there a way to fill the Hornets’ needs and upgrade the quality of the roster for Rich Cho’s contract year? Maybe…

The Charlotte Hornets are essentially in their off season right now. Their needs for the upcoming year have not really changed. They need more defensive skill in the post. They need to inject more offense that is dependable. They need to find a backup point guard that they can trust of keep the offense going when Kemba Walker is not out there.

Secondarily they need more bench wing defense. These concerns bring me to this piece, how the Hornets could satisfy these needs. Unlike the previous Carmelo piece, this piece will lean more into the realm of fantasy while trying to keep at least a foot in reality. The previous Carmelo article does a bit of dreaming too, but not this much.

In fact, we are going to set up an ever bigger Carmelo Anthony trade. But first let’s start with the basics: the salary cap. How much can the Hornets spend? As of July 2016, the NBA had reduced its salary cap estimate to $102 million for this upcoming fiscal year. We’ll use that number as our basis.