Carolina Panthers: Five Possibilities At Number Eight

Mar 1, 2017; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Carolina Panters general manager Dave Gettleman speaks to the media during the 2017 NFL Combine at the Indiana Convention Center. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Mar 1, 2017; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Carolina Panters general manager Dave Gettleman speaks to the media during the 2017 NFL Combine at the Indiana Convention Center. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
4 of 4
Next
Jan 2, 2017; Arlington, TX, USA; Wisconsin Badgers offensive lineman Ryan Ramczyk (65) in action during the game against the Western Michigan Broncos in the 2017 Cotton Bowl game at AT&T Stadium. The Badgers defeat the Broncos 24-16. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports
Jan 2, 2017; Arlington, TX, USA; Wisconsin Badgers offensive lineman Ryan Ramczyk (65) in action during the game against the Western Michigan Broncos in the 2017 Cotton Bowl game at AT&T Stadium. The Badgers defeat the Broncos 24-16. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports /
  1. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

I don’t really understand all the love for McCaffrey coming from David Newton of ESPN, and Newton is the only reason I have McCaffrey on this list. He fits the style of the modern NFL running back. He would look great in New England instead of James White or in another more short pass oriented offense.

The problem is that the Panthers don’t use that kind of running back much. Jonathan Stewart fits what they want to do with the position. If he was younger and healthier then McCaffrey would make a natural complement. Stewart is closer to the end than the beginning, and the Panthers need to find his replacement. They don’t need his partner.

More from Old North Banter

  1. Ryan Ramczyk, T, Wisconsin

The Panthers found their answer at left tackle when they signed Matt Kalil. They still have not identified an answer on the other side. We assume Michael Oher will be back. We assume Daryl Williams is the guy on deck if Oher is not back. We don’t know either of those things for certain.

Ramczyk has become the top rated tackle in the draft. The right side is better known for road graders like Jeff Otah than the pass protectors on the left. If there is one thing that Wisconsin does well, it is run the ball and block for the run. A Ramczyk pick would be the ultimate insurance move and probably scare us a little about Oher’s prognosis.

Next: Preseason Schedule is Here

So there are five guys the Panthers will look at before they turn their card in. If you would like more things to think about then you can check out these pieces on the value of tight end O.J. Howard and rover Jabrill Peppers. Or look at a very early mock draft analysis.